RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My friend brought a 2007 eco camper by scamper. 17 foot.

My friend brought a...

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

Sorry the scamper had a water leak and the damage area was in the middle of the camper. The water was between the vinyl floor and the particle board. It is close to the bath room. Since the vinyl is wall to wall, now could the water collect under the vinyl. It is a 2007 ECO camper by scamper. It belongs to friend and I am trying to help...Robert

Mechanic's Assistant: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?

It is water and the wood has root. It is a trailer camper

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '07 RV?

ECO by scamper

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is her camper, I am trying to help her

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that is it

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Ok

SO water will find a path to get in wherever it can if the water leak was in the walls it might run down to the floor line and then be able to get under the vinyl from the sides as you would not see an obvious leaks. IT is possible as well the leak came from below, if there are any plumbing lines the particle board would soak it up like a sponge. Once the vinyl and particle board is removed you may be able to see where it has been leaking from. Partial the reason they use the particle board is because it is cheap and when it does get wet it is easy to replace as it pretty much falls apart once it has been soaked for a period of time.

Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.

Robert

There is an added fee for a phone service. IF you have more questions I can help you in this format...

Robert

It is plywood vs particle. I do not see water damage from the wall to the center of the floor, near the bathroom. Floor consist from top to bottom vinyl glued to plywood, then foam. then under belly. I was thinking the toilet, because that looks like a area where
the floor was cut out, maybe allowing water to get between the vinyl and plywood. If the under belly is soft in this area can it be strengthen with a resin.

That is very possible the toilet flange was loose allowing the water to seep under the vinyl, have seen that many times. OF course you would want to remove the sub floor and check the supports it is sitting on, what you possibly could do in any soft areas is overlay with more sub floor, so the floor is thicker, if it is thicker then it should not want to give as much. Normally the sub floor is screwed to the frame or they use staples to staple it down. IF the underbelly (underneath the sub floor) is soft a resin may help strengthen that up or more supports added.

Very possible the toilet caused the problem, they will loosen up over time and that gasket needs to be replaced every so often. Sounds like you are on the right track.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page....

ROBERT

What is the underbelly made of ? Can it be repair if we find soft spots ? Can you support the frame without removing the cabinets ? Thank you
It is a 2007 ECO by scamper, 18 feet....

The underbelly is normally the very underneath and is a plastic material or a corrugated material, click HERE to view then that is screwed down to the framing and between the framing is insulation and on the top side is the sub floor. It is easy enough to pull down and you may have to replace the insulation if that got wet, pretty much is it open on top of the underbelly just the framing and insulation. IT would be a good way to try and frame up any areas by pulling down and having a better look from below.

Robert

My girlfriend brought this camper and I am trying to help fix the water leak, because she does not have much money to spend on it. I have one more question before I give you a five star rating...... 1. fine the problem, which does look like the toilet area / and have a water pressure test. 2. remove the foam for replacement. 3. before replacement of the foam, spray the open area to the underbelly with a mold treatment and then a epoxy resin to harden the area. 4. place new foam as needed. 5. place a new 3/8 " of plywood over existing floor. 5 then place the stick on tile to finish the job. All this will depend on fixing the leak !!!. This will raise the new floor about 1/2 ", QUESTION : Is all this possible to do ?

Yes it is all possible.... A step at a time.

What you could also do to check the supply lines is get a blow out plug that screws into the city water connector, most RV stores have them for a few dollars, it will have a valve stem on it and allow you to put air to the system. I would do about 45 psi and see if it holds, many times you can hear the leak and is much easier to find listening for a leak then water going everywhere. SO I might do that simple test to see if you pick up a leak, I would say the toilet base would be a good source as well. I would replace the toilet flange gasket as well.

IF you can poke a screwdriver through the floor it really should be replaced, if it is just stained then let it dry and treat it with some Kilz before you overlay the new flooring.

Hope this has been helpful, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

ROBERT

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic