RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2012 Jayco travel trailer. RV/Marine deep cycle…

Customer Question
I have a 2012 Jayco...
I have a 2012 Jayco travel trailer. RV/Marine deep cycle battery tests 13v. Converter is putting out 13.7v, solar panel puts out 14v. When I'm plugged into shore power, all works well. When not plugged into shore power and have fully battery charge, the tongue jack and the slide out won't work, tries, and then stops. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

So just to be clear when you are plugged into power the jack and slide-out work fine, but on battery power only they try to work and then stop, after they stop and you wait are you able to run them again only to have them stop again or do they not work at all after the first initial time ??

How many batteries do you have just one?

Thanks, Robert

To me it sounds like you are losing voltage. When you are plugged into power the power converter is charging the battery giving you max voltage, when you unplug you are only running off of battery power. Check your cables at the battery make sure everything is clean and tight. Also make sure you do not have a corroded thermal breaker, below is a picture, many times the slide and jack is wired directly to the battery and they will use some type of protection like that breaker, if it was exposed to the elements and corroded you might have voltage loss, it would heat up break contact and then when it cools off self resets, as a general rule if you had any it would be 18" from the battery.

The other issue is the one battery, many RV manufacturers try and save money and only use one battery, it takes allot to run the motors for the jack and slide-room and if the battery was not in top condition then they may not work or work poorly. Again the key is everything works plugged in. I might have the battery load tested to make sure it is good does not have a shorted cell, most auto parts stores can load test them for free. IF the battery is in good shape I would consider adding another deep cycle battery for a 12 volt set up all you would need to do is have two jumpers made and tie the pos to pos and neg to neg for a larger bank. Also it is important if you do add a second battery the current battery is in good shape or you can cut down on the life of the new battery. These batteries will come in series as well, 24, 27 and 31, each gives you a little more amp hours. Ideally I would expect to find a series 27 in your unit.

I hope this points you in the right direction, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page....

Robert

Breaker.

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic