RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2005 39 journey. Just noticed when my genny is

Hello, i have a...

Hello, i have a 2005 39 journey. Just noticed when my genny is running the system is pulling 11 amps? Everything unplugged. Microwave off fridge on propane no clocks or anything else running. Does that seem normal? I thought at times before I would notice maybe 1 or 2 amp draws. Whats your thoughts..

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Well Im crising hwy 70 at 68mph right now through kansas. I havent chechk fuses but my breakers are all good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Journey yourself? What have you tried so far?

Really just cycling the breakers of and on to attempt to isolate the curcuit. My freind is at the wheel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The main genny brker was tripped os how i even noticed the issue. I turned it back on and all seems good except the amp draw seems abnormal?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

SO you are driving down the road with the generator ON and have an 11 amp draw with everything off? Have you tried shutting all the breakers OFF in the main breaker panel? Does the amp draw going down at all when you do that?

Robert

i did that. And no it didnt go down

I really can not think of anything that would cause a draw like that if all the breakers are turned off. The amps should have went down to almost 0 when you turned all the breakers off. Does the same thing happen when you are parked and the engine is not running?

Robert

Have you tried turning off the inverter as well?

How i noticed the issue to start was my house batterys were draining. I noticed the block heater was on. Torned that of and batteries charged back fully in 5mins. But the main on the side of genny was tripped. So i reset it and cam back in all was good ecept the 11 amp draw.
All is working otherwise as should be. Just never noticed that amount of a draw. Generally 1 mabe 3 amps most when traveling and genny on unless making coffee
You still here?

Understand, you are always going to have some draw and I almost wonder if this has to do with the charging circuit, when you are driving down the road the house batteries should charge via a battery isolator, when you start the generator they should be getting a charge from the inverter via the generator or when you plug in the inverter will charge, that will pull some amps depending on the state of the batteries.

What I might do is when you can hook up plug in for a few hours and then unplug and start the generator and see if you have the same draw, if everything returns to normal and this is only happening when the engine is running it could be the alternator is not charging via the isolator and when you start the generator the inverter is charging causing the draw.

I would not be overly concerned as 11 amps is not much and I would monitor the situation, make sure the generator breaker does not trip anymore etc.....

Let me know if you need more help on this, I am around daily and respond when I can...

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

Robert

Yes I am here it takes a few mins to type a response. I am tied up right now and can not do a call but another expert may take the call, there is an additional fee for a call...

Robert

1 more ? I was plugged in and it was very cold so I started the genny just to exercise it turned it off about an hour later. But was still hooked up to land power will that cause issues?

Yes it will.... You can mess the transfer switch up when you do that, you will be putting voltage on both sides of it and it could cause the transfer switch to fail. IF you have AC power on both source then you got lucky, normally it would fry the transfer switch so if you have AC power when the generator is going and on shore power you are good, if you have no AC power on one source then the Transfer Switch is at fault. Try to avoid that at all costs......

Hope this helps, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page..
Thanks... Robert

Thank you for your help.

No problem at all, you should be able to select a STAR rating on the page... It is the only way I get credit for helping out.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
I dont see that.

That is OK, it looks like the rating went through...

Thanks.... Robert

Cary York
Phone call session started