RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Have a water leak behind battery compartment. Why are heater…

Customer Question
Have a water leak...

Have a water leak behind battery compartment. Why are heater hoses back there

Mechanic's Assistant: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?

I shut the valves off at heater core still leaking

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2002 brave

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to fix still trying to find leak

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Why do the hoses go to water heater

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: RV
3/19/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

SO if the hoses are going to the water heater it is called a "motor Aid".. some water heaters include a motor-aid feature, which utilizes a heat exchange tube on the back of the water heater to connect the water heater and the RV engine cooling system. The purpose of this optional feature is to allow the use of the engine heat to warm the water in the water heater tank while driving down the road. It generally takes 2-3 hours of driving to reach maximum heat in the water heater tank.

So it is possible one of the lines for that system is leaking but this would be very hard for me to say the exact location of the leak, it could be one of the lines for the motor-aid. I can see if a plumbing diagram is available for that but I would need the model of your Brave.

Hope this answers your question on the water heater and why it is tied in. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
MPd 93756
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still there

Yes that is the Atwood water heater which I already explained to you the motor aid function. I was looking for the model of the Brave. Please understand it takes a few mins to respond back as well. I help others out also.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Model wff34d

OK

Let me see if there is a plumbing diagram that shows that line for the water heater, please give me a few mins.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I cut hoses leading to the water and put together to bypass water heater

Click HERE this is the only plumbing diagram they have on your unit, they do not have one that shows the chassis coolant for the heater core etc...

Yes you can bypass the water heater and use a splice to tie the hoses together and I recommend that if it isolates the leak that would be fine to do.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page..

Robert

HI was just checking in to see if my answer helped?? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic