RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My Precision Circuit control panel keeps re-setting itself.

Customer Question
My Precision Circuit control...

My Precision Circuit control panel keeps re-setting itself

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

2017 Winnebago ERA 170A

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '17 RV?

Winnebago

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I don't know what to do to fix it. I have taken it to two different shops where they couldn't re-create the problem. This weekend I took video of it re-setting itself so the error and re-set screen can be used for information.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?

10900 miles. I do not have a scan tool or code reader.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Sometimes the computer re-sets itself so often that it will shut down. The only way to re-start is to shut off the house battery and turn it back on. It will re-set itself while it is: (1) connected to shore power; (2) running on a generator; (3) running on the house battery alone; (4) while the vehicle is moving; (5) under all of those conditions while nothing else is on.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: RV
3/18/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 month ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
https://youtu.be/MUmx7qmUM98This is a video which shows the error

T​his sounds like a low voltage issue or a problem in the disconnect solenoid or shortstop breaker that controls that incoming DC voltage. I think I would first have the house batteries load tested to be sure they are viable and that you don't have one with an internal short that is causing this. Most places that sell batteries can do this for you. In the shop it is always the first thing we check on any kind of electrical issue. Never assume that just because they may new that they couldn't be the problem. Make sure that the ground lead to the chassis is clean and tight. A bad ground can do this. And lastly, do you have any fluorescent light fixtures? Those can send feedback into the system and raise havoc with the controls.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The lighting fixtures are all LED. So even though this happens while on shore power or on generator it can still be a low voltage issue?

Y​es, it can or it can from a bad ground or bad relay.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What would be a sign for a bad ground from the house battery? Would it be visible when getting under the vehicle to remove the battery to go into the shop to be tested? Also, do you think an auto-parts store battery test would indicate a problem with the battery?

Start with the batteries and cables and eliminate those as a proximate cause. Then if you have or can come up with a small digital multimeter we can do some easy testing and track down any voltage problem. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in that testing. I am adding a link to a shortstop breaker photo so you can see what we would be looking for on that. https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=BqT81%2fi2&id=8D4939A7F0965679E3E29C89B963B0D9C24CDC15&thid=OIP.BqT81_i2snOEu0WIlAltMAHaG6&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fwww.waytekwire.com%2fimages%2fitems%2f46375BFL.gif&exph=560&expw=600&q=shortstop+breaker+photo&simid=608020010927391581&selectedIndex=0

Not really visible unless it was loose. Corrosion between the wiring terminal and chassis is the usual cause. Clean it up and add a new star washer in between the terminal and the chassis and tighten it up. Shortstop breakers may have a red cover over them. By code they have to be within 18" of the battery. Black button you push in to reset it. May have a bad connection there or corrosion. Follow the positive lead right to them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A visual inspection shows the batteries are cables are not corroded. I don't know if they can be tested while still connected to the van or if I will have to disassemble everything to get the batteries tested.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would the shortstop breaker be inside the coach?

If you take it in they can load test them for you or you can remove the batteries and take them in. Most places that sell batteries can do this. No. They have to be within 18" of the batteries. May have a red cover over them. Follow the positive lead right to them.

J​ust checking back in to see if you located the shortstop breakers?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, we could never find the shortstop breakers. Nothing is red at all underneath the vehicle with the exception of a little red around the wire connected to each battery.

Are your house batteries under the entry steps? If so, look to the left of those. And get back to me with your actual model number and I can look up the wiring diagrams.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The "on-off" switch to the house battery is next to the steps. I have to leave the house battery OFF otherwise the circuit panel will be re-setting constantly. The unit is a 2017 Winnebago ERA 170A. The actual 'house' batteries are underneath the coach (two batteries) one on each side just behind the dual tires. The van is not high enough off the ground for me to get my head to see the actual TOP of the battery - I can only feel it with my fingers. Myself and my husband slid underneath and followed the leads from the batteries underneath all the way to where they sort of disappear into the unit and couldn't find any sort of a button or switch. It was all wiring encased in black plastic.

What do you mean "circuit panel resetting contantly" here? Something is wrong if that is happening. Are you sure that these batteries are viable? One may have an internal short and causing this. I would have them load tested to be sure. Even brand new batteries can have a pretty high failure rate. Most places that sell batteries can do this for you. And be sure you take a photo of the hookups so you get them back the same way. Otherwise it is easy to get this wrong. Double check the polarity too. Someone may have hooked something up wrong.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What I mean by the circuit panel was the original problem - the precision circuits monitor. Sorry if that was unclear.I spoke with Winnebago today because the earliest appointment I can get is June 5 to get my unit into service. When describing the problem they suggested it may be a relay. I have NO electrical background at all so I am unable to figure any of this out.I called a battery place and they will not test the battery while it is up underneath the vehicle behind the tires. The batteries are quite big and I don't think my husband and I could get them out and re-hooked up after testing being that the unit is so low to the ground.

When a relay is heard clicking it is usually a shortstop breaker and that indicates an overload or a short. Can you attach a photo of the panel here to your post? Or we can do a phone chat and you can text it to me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well then it isn't a relay because there is no audible noise. Nothing happens other than the panel just keeps resetting. What panel do you want to see a photo of? There is a circuit panel (like in a house) under the closet and then under the kitchen drawers is a whole bunch of wiring.

The one that keeps resetting.

Just wondering it you were able to get that photo of your panel where you are having this issue?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is the panel I have been referring to the whole time: https://youtu.be/MUmx7qmUM98

This is a pretty new system and I have to admit I have not seen this problem here before or in my shop. I would contact Winnebago Customer Service at(###) ###-####and find out what they are doing about this. You should still be under warranty. I looked on the Precision Circuits website and it gave nothing on this or any manuals. Please report back what they have to report. Sometimes it take a while to work the bugs out of a new system.

gene
gene
gene, RV Mechanic