RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I purchased a new Colman last month that has an dometic

I purchased a new...

I purchased a new Colman last month that has an dometic model G6A-8E water heater. The heater fired one time and made hot water. Then it never fired again. I troubleshot every thing and decided that it was the circuit board. Found no sorts or opens in the circuit wiring. Decided to purchase a new board since it was 140 mile from the deer lease to a Colman dealer. Put the new board on it fired a made on tank of hot water and did not ever fire again. Got any suggestions. That a lot to pay for one shower.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

I purchased a new Colman trailer with a dometic water heater model number G6A-8E. Fired up the heater and it made one tank of hot water and never fired again. Troubleshot the circuits and decided it was the circuit board.purchased a new one since it was 135 miles to the nearest Colman dealer. Installed the new board and it fired correctly and made on tank of hot water then never fired again. Got any ideals, that’s a lot to pay for one shower.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2018 Colman Lantern 286RK

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I metered al circuits for shorts or opens and decided that it was the circuit board changed the board and it worked correctly long enough to make one tank of hot warter then did the same thing again would not light the burner.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

SO on that water heater under the outside access cover do you see a brown wire with a clear plastic shield over it? If so do you have continuity through that link? That would be a one time fuse and if it blows it will prevent power from getting to the board. Need to check that to start, you can even remove it and bypass it for TESTING only, if it starts sparking and fires off then put it back the way it was, that is the high limit or ECO for the water heater..

Let me know, this will take some going back and forth as might not be a simple answer for this...

Robert

I did check that link and also checked all circuits through the test at eco and selinoid wiring. I have 13 volts through the switch and back to the unit. The spark ignighter fired the first time I put the new board in and never fired again. Just as the first board did upon original fire up
Are you still there

Ughh...

IF you have good voltage through the link it should be sparking, if it is not sparking then it normally is an issue with the electrode or board.

One thing that can damage boards is if you had AC leakage through the DC lines, normally you see this when a power conevter is not working or putting out dirty voltage, that would be one thing to check to see if you are getting AC voltage on the DC supply, it should be very minimal under 4 ac volts, over that the board can get damaged, I am just trying to brain storm why it would only work one time, the high limit would be the number one cause if it was blown but if it is not blown and you have good DC voltage then it sounds like the board or electrode.

YES STILL TYPING A RESPONSE IT TAKES TIME TO DO THAT... I can not do a call at this very moment but another expert might.

So I might check for that AC voltage on the DC side, make sure the DC voltage is around 12.5 volts and set your meter to AC voltage and make sure you have NO AC voltage. Beyond that it might be a dealer issue or warranty something could be mis-wired causing a short and the board to fail. Being a brand new unit you should not have to figure out what the problem is so might want to at least consider the warranty factor, I know it is time and money to bring it in but so is replacing multiple circuit boards.

Another expert may call you on this, his name would be Randall he is a very good expert and might have some more input on this, I know he is around daily but not sure about right now. Might be good to get even more input or his thoughts on this.....

Thanks Robert

Unit is getting 13 volts dc. When I turn the switch on inside the trailer the unit relay tries three time to spark and the stops. The ignighter i not sparking. But all the rest of the circuits must be doing correctly because you can light the burner with a match but it won’t stay lit
Also I have a friend that bought a new Colman also and his is doing the exact same thing

OK if that is the case you need to check that electrode as it senses the flame and sends a signal to the board, if it is sparking three times and the gas valve is opening up then it should be firing off, make sure the electrode gap is 1/8" and check the ground as well coming off the board, make sure that is clean and tight. It has to be the electrode or board on this.

LP does come into play if the electrode is sparking, if the LP pressure was not correct then the flame may not light or flame out, get an air nozzle blow the burner tube out make sure nothing is inside of that. Go to the main LP tank valve and shut it, slowly open it back up sometimes if that valve is opened to fast the regulator can lock up and you might not get the proper pressure. Try lighting the stove first then the water heater to help equalize pressure.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Phone call session started
I don’t think what I am hearing the the electrode firing, i think what I hear is a relay clicking.

I do believe Randall will be calling you, be good to have another experts input on this.

Robert

I did try to call and will try again shortly. Or let me know when is a good time for you.

Now is a good time

Give me a call back and let me know how this turns out..........

I will. It will be a few weeks before I go back to the deer lease to find out. But thanks again for your thoughts

O.K.......no time limit on getting back to me.