RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

New Atwood 6ga-8e. First board lasted 2 days. Replacement…

Customer Question
New Atwood 6ga-8e. First...

New Atwood 6ga-8e. First board lasted 2 days. Replacement lasted10 days. I checked voltage with digital meter all was where I should. Power coming from an inverter checked it all seems fine there. Two bad boards? They both seem to have failure no spark but gas vaulve opens then goes into no light mode. Two similar failures? What else could cause this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Fault light in cabin

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

1995 Damon ultrasport

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

New heater now 2 circuit boards

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: RV
3/18/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Are you sure it was the circuit board? These usually last a long time. There are other things that can cause it not to light. You may have a bad thermostat or ECO or a gas valve issue. Do you have a small digital multmeter or at least a 12 VDC test light? Easy to check this out this way. I will be offline for about 15 minutes as I have go to the store. Be right back......

Brought suspect board from brand new heater to be tested at camping world It tested like the replacement is acting
No spark signal gas valve opens then closes repeats cycle then locks out

Does the new board spark or not?

If not, check the incoming DC voltage on the brown lead. Bypass the thermal fuse if you need to for testing. You can add a test ground on the chance that the ground is suspect and causing lower voltage.

It did for 10 days now doing same thing the original did when board tested bad. There closed

W​e can solve this is you have a meter. I am adding a link to the Atwood Service Manual for you. Print this out so you have it. I don't think there is anything wrong with the board. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf

Bypass the thermostat on the brown lead and see if you have power back again.

Same condition I’ve checked thermal fuse it is fine. The gas valve gets signal no ignition signal. 99%sure the board is bad but 2 identical failures has me looking for what is causing board failures

I​s there 12 plus VDC TO the board on the brown lead when measured to ground?

Use the metal housing on the water heater for a ground.

The chances of having two bad control boards is about zero here.

H​ave you had the batteries out recently? No chance you got them wired up wrong? Too little voltage or too much voltage can ruin a board.

12.56 when power switch is on

T​hat is adequate. Plug is clean at the board? Fuse not blown on the board?

All connections are clean and checked. The only thing strange that it does is after I Service it and go to put the fuse back in I guess small arc across the fuse buss Like there’s a draw I’ve checked all the wiring and can’t find anything wrong I’ve checked my inverter to make sure it’s functioning properly I’m confused why the fuse on the circuitboard doesn’t blow yet the circuitboard goes bad

There is a short in the harness someplace I suspect. Probably a wire pinched by the installation. That needs to be checked.

Were you able to check the harness to see if it was pinched someplace? You can ohm it out back to the switch and find out if one lead gives an indication of that. Let me know if you need help on that part.