RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 1998 Forest River travel trailer. I have new

I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 Forest River travel trailer. I have new batteries but do not know how to hook them up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

They are brand new interstate deep cell RV batteries

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '98 Forest River?

Sandpiper 19 ft.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I hooked the red to the positive on the right battery, and the red jump from positive to positive, and the two white to the negative on the left battery. nothing happened

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

So l used the jumper from the + to - and nothing happened again only how to connect the 2 batteries.

3/17/2018
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

thank you

It depends if they are 12 volt or 6 volt batteries, see diagram below, that would be for the main or large cables, if you have smaller wires and they are going to a fuse or breaker they will go to positive, if they are going to the frame they will go to negative. Make sure you did not trip a breaker as well, below is a picture of that. Most have a tiny tab on them that pops out when they trip, as a general rule they stick them 18" from the battery and can be on the frame, if you had one that tripped it could prevent power into the RV. You should have voltage on each post to chassis ground, if one side reads much higher it is the problem.

Let me know if you need more help on this follow ups are included. Robert

the white wires are not connected to the frame they run back to the panel

DO you have a volt meter?

no volt meter. I don't see anything in the service manual that come with the trailer 20 years ago

OK

So there is a way to check the ground circuit with a volt meter, and as a general rule red is positive and if it is with white at the battery it is ground or negative.

Make sure you did not trip a breaker as in the picture I sent you.

Robert

I think the + from the panel was connected to the right battery and both white a thick and thin one were connected to the - on the left battery and questionable was the jumper going from + on left to - on right. is this possible?
they are 12 volt batteries
I think they were hooked up like the picture of the 6 volt that you sent me.

OK

So red to the positive whites to the negative and then use a jumper red to red and white to white to tie the two batteries together, so in theory if you just had one battery hooked up everything would work, all you are doing is extending the bank of batteries with a cable from pos to pos and neg to neg NOT pos-neg.

that sounds right, but I wonder how come they a
had no white jumper from neg to neg. ?? then I will go get a white jumper for the -to -

Not sure why they need to be tied together but regardless you should still have voltage with only one 12 volt battery hooked up....

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
I will go try that, thanks Robert you were helpful. go ahead back to your dinner

Thanks, ***** ***** know if you need more help on this....

( I was eating dinner lol)