RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We just purchased a 2105 coachman brookstone 5th wheel. We…

We just purchased a...

We just purchased a 2105 coachman brookstone 5th wheel. We are trying to dewinterize and hook up to city water. We ran the water till all the antifreeze was gone but cantget the black water tank to open and drain. Do you have any suggestions

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your car been overheating? Have you noticed any leaks?

Car??

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2015 brookstone 36rl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried pulling the blac waer tank valve but e areno sur how far it comes out

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have no hot water either

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please give me several mins to type a response...

For the hot water heater check on the back side of the hot water for some valves, most set ups will have a hot, cold and bypass, the hot and cold should be open or valve handle with the pipe and the bypass closed or valve handle against the pipe. Sometimes you have to go inside the RV pull a panel or drawer to get at the valves on the back of the water heater, so opposite of the outside access panel. IF you still have no hot water let me know if the water in the tank is HOT, you can pull up on the pressure relief and see if steam or hot water comes out. Need to check the valves first.

Most set ups for the black tank will have a threaded rod or cable you pull on to open the valve, the rod/cable should pull out several inches, the valve is a gate valve and it might be stuck from sitting or if it is very cold frozen. Try applying a little more pressure to see if it will move for you.

IF you need to check things out and get back to me that is fine I am around daily and respond when I can.

Please keep in mind I only get credit for helping out when you select a STAR rating on the page....

Robert

Ok we will try what you said and get back to you we had to go several miles away for internet so we are nit near our camper. Btw it is 80 degrees so i dont think it is frozen

Understand the temp, just had to mention that, seen that a bunch this past winter....

Let me know if you need more help.

Thanks, Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
How far does the black valve pull out we can only get it to move may be 1 inch
It also wont turn left or right veryy far

IT should move more then one inch, the gate inside the valve travels at least 4 or 5" and that needs to open all the way. DO you have a cable or rod the handle is attached to?

Robert

Normally you pull out on it not turn it unless it is on a manifold of some type. IF you can send a picture, you can add photos by using the paper clip icon on the page.

Robert

We cant send pictures no cell reception at camp ground

Understand, is the handle on a rod or cable?

How hard can we pull on the cable. And what haplens if we pull to hard and break it
Cable

OK. On the other end of the cable is where it hooks to the valve body it is a braided cable and it is secured to the valve with an allen head screw. IF it breaks most likely you will have to get a new cable and attach it to the valve body but it is possible the valve might need to be replaced as well.

One thing I have see on the cables is if they have been coiled in any spots to the valve it makes then extremely difficult to pull on.

Oknwe are head back now to try your suggestions. I will get back witj you if this foes not work

Sounds good....

Robert