RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2007 challenger with a ford v10. Catilattic

I have a 2007...

I have a 2007 challenger with a ford v10. Catilattic converter failed, clogged up caused the engine to loose power. We had to drive aprox 400 miles to get home not knowing at that time what was wrong. Now has a issue and is using oil. Suspect a galled piston. Need to know procedure to remove engine to either repair or replace

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

1200 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Challenger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm a professional tech with a fully equipped shop. This is my personal mh. Haven't performed a leak down yet ,determined it's #7 cylinder making noise. Blowing oil out filler tube.Seems to be a blowby condition

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That pretty much covers it

3/16/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Your clogged cat could have caused excessive carbon buildup in the cylinders. I would remove plug 7 and add 1/2 cup of Rislone or Mercon 5 oil to the cylinder and let it sit for 6 hours. Crank the engine to blow it out. Install the plug. With the converter repaired or removed. Start the engine and see if it improves. I would also pour a bottle of sea foam into the intake while running through an open vacuum line. IF there is still excessive blow by then the cylinder wall, rings, or piston has to be damaged.

Engine removal steps here https://www.dropbox.com/s/aiwy7ilo4ldok8o/f43enginerr.pdf?dl=0

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have read your response. I'm a tech with over forty years of experience. We also have an engine rebuilding shop where we have built or rebuilt over a thousand engines of various kinds. I really wasn't looking for a engine diagnosis process, We have enough equipment to do that. We were looking for information on removing the engine from this particular unit, as we have been unable to find any.I appreciate your timely response and will pay the fee.You seem to have knowledge of engines and what problems various component failures can contribute. I thank you for providing the download. It may provide the info we are looking for. ***** ***** @
Bailey's Repair & Fabrication
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic