RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2004 Fleetwood RV and after changing the oil and…

I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 Fleetwood RV and after changing the oil and fuel filter, the engine spins but won't start. It has a 3136 cat engine.please help!

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?

External, at the rear of RV

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, it serms like it's not getting any fuel. I did unhook all batteries because i replaced the starter on my generator

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Tried to start with starting fluid, it ran for about 10 seconds

3/16/2018
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Does the yellow check engine light come on when the key is turned to the on position?
No
but it goes out
Thanks for the information.If the yellow check engine light does not come on when the key is turned to the on position and the engine will not start, there are only 2 things that can cause this.The first and most common is the engine ECM is not getting the correct power and ground to function. The ECM should have power on pins 52, 53, and 70 of the rear most ECM connector. This is the truck side harness connector. 70 is the key switch wire. The grounds are on pins 65 and 67. You can remove the connector and check for power on these pins. If you do not have power on these pins, you most likely have a blown fuse in the electrical system. I would check all fuses first.If you do have correct power and ground to the ECM, you most likely have a failed ECM. I have seen this many times over the years. To confirm the ECM is bad, you would need to install a known good ECM on the engine or you can take the ECM to the dealer to be tested. Unfortunately the ECM cannot be repaired. Replacement is the only option. I am sorry. I wish I had better news.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Phone call session started
Oh I see. It does come on. Just seen your post.Thanks for the information.Since the yellow check engine light comes on, this indicates the engine ECM is receiving power and functioning. There are several things that can cause a crank no start on this engine.The first is a low or no fuel pressure condition. The engine needs at least 25 psi to start. If it is low, the injectors will not get filled and it will not start. If the engine has a hand priming pump, and it gets stiff when operating it, the engine has enough pressure to start. If there is no hand priming pump, I would connect a psi gauge and measure the pressure. If the pressure is low, I would change the fuel filters first if you haven’t already. If it is still low, I would suspect a failed fuel pressure regulator on the back of the head or a weak fuel transfer pump. The pump is located on the back of the HEUI pump.Second is a low injection actuation pressure. This is the high pressure oil system that activates the injectors. The engine needs at least 870 psi to start. If it is low, you have either a failed Injection actuation pressure control valve in the HEUI pump, a weak HEUI pump, a high pressure oil leak at an injector, or a faulty Injection actuation pressure sensor. To test the sensor, just unplug it. If the engine starts, the sensor is bad. It has 3 wires and is located on top of the engine near the front and screwed into the head.Third is a failed engine speed timing sensor. Your engine has two. They are located on the driver’s side of the engine on the back of the engines front cover under the HEUI pump. The bottom sensor is the primary start sensor. If it has failed, the engine will be hard to start. The top one is the primary run sensor. They come as a pair.Next is low battery voltage to the ECM while cranking. The ECM must have at least 7.5 volts DC to operate. I have seen weak batteries or a poor connection cause low voltage. You could have a poor connection at the batteries or starter.Next is a faulty engine ECM. The ECM has an injector driver module inside. This is what powers the injectors. If it fails, the ECM will log injector codes for all the injectors.Lastly are worn injectors. Over time the injectors can wear if they have a lot of hours on them. To verify, I like to check AC to the injectors while cranking. You should have between 20-40 AC while cranking. If you do, and you have good fuel pressure, the injectors are worn.Most often when these things are happening there will be diagnostic codes in the ECM. If your engine has cruise control switches, you can pull the codes. If you have never done this, let me know. I can get you the procedure.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
There are no engine codes
Thanks for the information.
I assume the engine does not have a hand priming pump? Correct?
No, it does not have a hand pump
Thanks for the information. I thought so. Most do not.Without a hand primer. They can be hard to get primed. Best option without one is to prefill the fuel filters and use starting fluid. Just be careful not to use too much starting fluid.
How were you able to verify no codes?
I've used 4 cans of starting fluid and i retrieved the codes with my laptop
It showed no codes
Thanks for the information.
Wow. That’s a lot. I assume the engine does not have a pricing issue. It should not take that much starting fluid. Possibly the engine has a sucking air problem.
Was it running ok before changing filters?
I would suspect a sucking air problem at the primary filter. That’s the only thing I have seen cause this.
I cracked open the fuel line and turned on the switch and no fuel came out
I see. Yeah sounds like sucking air.
Ok, thanks. So where should i start first
I would start checking all the lines from the tank all the way to the engine.
To verify. I like to run fuel out of a bucket directly to the engine. If it starts and runs. You’ll know it’s sucking air.
Ok, thanks
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.