RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have 96 Damon Ultrasport 3411B on a ford chassis. When I…

I have 96 Damon...

I have 96 Damon Ultrasport 3411B on a ford chassis. When I try to start the engine, I turn the key to the run position but it will not crank. If I turn the key on and off several times, it will eventually crank and start up just fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

The Battery is new. Alternator puts out 13-14 volts at cruise speed. Battery if fully charged. Key is in good condition. I can turn the steering wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '13 Ford?

1996 Damon Ultrasport 3411B

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I have cleaned the battery posts, checked the fuses and relays. checked the main ground

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Tried shifting from park to neutral and tried with the emergency brake on and off

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2018
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

I​F the cable connections are clean and tight then the most common cause of this is a key switch that is failing. That is over 20 years old. Has to be one or the other or a bad connection as the starter solenoid. Hope that points you in the right direction. Please get back to me if you need more here as all follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

Could it be a neutral safety switch? A couple of days ago the stabilizers wouldn't deploy, flashing that the RV wasn't in park even though it was. I shifted in and out of park a few times and they finally came down. However where would the safety switch be located?

It might be that, but this is not as common. That is down on the side of the transmission. You may need to get a copy of the Ford wiring diagrams for this year and transmission. A Ford dealer should be able to look this up for you.

Ok. I will check the manuals in the morning.

10-4

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification