RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Water heater doesnt relight on gas. Replaced spark assembly…

Water heater doesnt relight...

Water heater doesnt relight on gas.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Replaced spark assembly and heater lites immediately. throw out switch the then kicks on at relite attempt.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2004 Skyline with gas/electric 6 gal.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

This has been a consistent problem for a long time. yes I do it. made sure of gas, and cleaned orifice carefully. Tube is clean.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Relights easily after switch is reset runs good untill water temp is reached flame is blue with slight hint of yellow, does not relight after shut off unless switch is reset.

3/15/2018
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

This sounds like it could be the thermostat or circuit board, what I might do on this is have the board tested, most RV shops have a special board tester and can tell if the board is bad. If the board checks out good I might try another thermostat, it sits on the tank under the outside access cover and comes as a kit with a high limit or ECO which is a cut-off cheap enough to replace to see if takes care of the problem. The flame sounds perfect so sounds like a board or thermostat problem.

IF you need more help on this please let me know, follow ups are included.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.....

Robert

water heater works with electric. could the dual on/off switch be the problem? Can the thermostat on the tank cause the kick out if it gets the water too hot? mother board was replace as were the thermostats about three years ago and it was not used for two years.

IS this an Atwood or Suburban?

Thanks, Robert

Also do you have the model number, if not no worries, just makes it easier knowing what we are dealing with...

I doubt it is the dual switch and each should have there own thermostat, one for the AC side (electric) and one for the LP side. Normally if the ECO or high limit blows it has to be replaced or reset if it is a Suburban.

Robert

Attwood gcg6aa-10e

OK

I doubt the switch is the problem.... IF this unit sat for two years I would make sure the flue is clean and clear, sometimes rodents, mud daubers can get inside and cause problems and if the air flow was restricted it could shut down. IT sounds like the flame is set perfect which leaves the electrode, thermostat and board. Make sure the electrode is properly adjusted you should have a 1/8" gap and the ceramic on the electrode should not be cracked and it should not be sparking outside the tip, check the connections on the thermostat and make sure the thermostat is flush on the tank. Generally you never see a switch fail on these, it would be the board, electrode or T-stat for this issue.

I do want to point out although I doubt it is the problem the system LP should be checked yearly with a manometer.

Also make sure you have good DC battery voltage, it should be over 11.5 volts.

Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

One other thing you can try, pull the connector on the circuit board and clean the contacts on the board with a pencil eraser, sometimes that can be a weak link.

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic