RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

It used to run fine, but this year I tried to start it and…

It used to run...

It used to run fine, but this year I tried to start it and apparently I'm not getting any fuel to the 454 throttle body

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No start, no fuel

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

Like a 1999 airstream class a

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Id like to fix it. All I have done is remove the fuel line and turned it over, no fuel flow

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really

3/15/2018
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

From what you have described this sounds like a faulty fuel pump.I have seen the fuel pump fail most commonly with the issue you have described here with it needing to be replaced.To ensure it is the cause the gray wire at the pump needs to be tested for at or near 12 volts dc when the key is first turned on ( power for the first 2 seconds ) and the black wire for ground.If you have power and ground at the pump then it needs to be replaced.It can fail suddenly while driving or running or when sitting as well.

If you do not have power on the gray wire then the fuel pump relay has most likely failed or on some models, there is a fuel pump fuse.Since this is a converted chassis for the motor home my info is not showing the fuel pump relay or fuse location.I know on a 99 model GM vehicle with the 454 the relay is located in the under hood fuse panel and is labeled with the under side of the fuse panel lid on which relay it is.

One of these will be the cause here and the fuel pump itself is most common.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how do I access the fuel pump? it's in the middle of the tank on the top, correct? do I need to drop the tank?

Usually, the tank has to be dropped and it should be middle of the top of the tank.You can however see if you can locate the wiring harness running up to it and locate the gray and black wire in it and test the wiring where its easiest for you to see if you have the 2 second power or power when cranking over and the ground signal to see if the pump needs to be replaced.But if the wiring is unable to be accessed then the tank needs dropped to test it.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you

Your welcome

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician