RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Would that troubleshooting apply to the 10000 quiet diesel…

Customer Question
Would that troubleshooting apply...

Would that troubleshooting apply to the 10000 quiet diesel as well?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?

2005 and spins great and has fuel but does not even attempt to fire. bought coach used and sat idle for 7+ years as owner passed away.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 RV?

2005 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dynasty yourself? What have you tried so far?

Generator spins I thought a little slow but bought a new starter and installed it and same spin. Took return off fuel filter and diesel pumping out when cranking. Primed and clicking is active before cranking... never attempted to fire however.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Coolant and oil levels appear good

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
RV Mechanic: Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets replied 4 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

10HDCAA11506C
Serial J030563527
10HDCAA11506C

Ok.

The filter on this unit does not have a return. There is an inlet and an outlet, but no return.

Lets check the fuel system.

To do a fuel flow test, get underneath the genset, and remove the return fuel line. It is marked on the side of the genset.
Attach a piece of fuel hose to the nipple, and run the hose into an empty container of at least 1 quart capacity.
Press and hold the STOP/PRIME button for exactly 1 minute.
In 1 minute, it should pump a minimum of ½ pint of fuel.

Let me know what happens.

ok will work on that tomorrow

Ok.

We did test the flow today and we believe there is ample fuel flow but if you need a meaurement then we will proceed.
Is there a panel with fuses in it that controls the glow plugs or anything electrical that could stop it from starting?
the fuel pump/prime is working as it clicks and so forth when either it is pushed up or down and held

There is a relay that controls the glow plug. But first we need to verify that we have sufficient fuel. If it is not flowing enough fuel, anything else we do will be moot.

ok will measure tomorrow

Ok.

fuel test passed.

Ok.

Use a test light or voltmeter to see if you are getting power to the glow plug while the pump is priming in the START mode.

ok, we put 12v to the glow plugs while trying to start it and still nothing

I will be honest with you here.

If this unit has been sitting for 7 years, there is a very good chance that the high pressure fuel pump and/or the injectors are gummed up.

Unfortunately, testing them requires some very specialized equipment.

The only 2 things you would be able to do on that front are:

1. Loosen the fuel lines at the injectors 1 at a time just to see if fuel is even getting to the injectors. If not, the HP pump is bad. Replacing it is something best left to a professional, due to the tight tolerances involved.

2. If you are getting fuel to the injectors, you would not be able to test them. The only thing you could do would be to replace them. But that could become an expensive endeavor, if they turn out to be ok.

RV Mechanic: Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets replied 3 months ago

Was this what you wanted to know?

Update: full fuel to fuel rail but two of three injector pumps are only pulsing a little fuel and other one nothing. Obviously injector pump(s) may be bad. Diesel does not appear dirty or gummy. Took one out to see about rebulding/cleaning. Need part number however and unable to find rebuilt units.

Sorry for the delay. I left for vacation last week. I took my computer with, with the intention of working some questions, but was unable to get a cell signal where we were at.

The part number for the injector pumps is(###) ###-####

Found complete new unit on Ebay and ordered it last week. Will be here middle of next week but we are certain that this is the issue since one of the units is seized and stopping the fuel from the other two. I will keep you updated.

Ok.

are you familiar with Girard G2000 awnings?

Nope, I'm a generator and electrical specialist.

ok thanks

No problem.