RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We lost our lighting inside the coach. All inside ones.

We lost our lighting...

We lost our lighting inside the coach.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

All inside ones.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

Monaco Executive 2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Monaco yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked fuses in bedroom closet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

And have checked both battery cut off switches.

3/14/2018
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

So near the entry door inside do you have a battery disconnect switch?? IF you hit that switch do you hear a faint click away from the switch each time?

The reason I am asking is if you are missing ALL the interior DC power then the solenoid for the battery disconnect switch could be the problem. IT acts as a gate and allows the DC power into the RV. To test what you can do is jump the LARGE posts on the solenoid and see if all your DC power comes on, sometimes the contacts inside the solenoid can stick and when that happens you get NO DC power. Most likely the solenoid is outside in a storage compartment driver's side front.

OF course you want to verify the house battery voltage at the battery, make sure it is over 12.5 volts or so, then follow the cable to the solenoid. There may be a breaker as well near the battery on one of the cables prior to the solenoid.

IF you are plugged in with the shore-line and are missing the AC power (microwave, TV'S outlets) please let me know.

Also you can respond back as much as you like, all follow ups are included.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.....

Robert

Just to clarify this would be ALL the DC power, lights, furnace, water heater etc. IF it is just the lights then let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What else besides our inside lights is 12 volt?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok Robert I would like to finish this!

The fridge runs on 12 volts, water heater, furnace etc.....

Robert

Would you not like help anymore, we can go back and forth as much as needed on this. IF ALL the DC power is not working and you have good voltage at the batteries the number one cause is going to be a failed disconnect solenoid. Anything that has a fuse in your interior fuse panel is going to be DC voltage.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As far as we can tell the fridge is working and microwave, we do not have a water heater. We have an aquahot.

The microwave would be AC power, the fridge might be tied to the chassis side have seen that before....

What I would do at this point is locate that solenoid, have someone hit the interior switch and listen for the solenoid, go to the solenoid and then you will have two LARGE posts, one comes directly from the battery, you hit the switch and it transfers the power to the other post, what you can do is get a small insulated wire and jump the posts and see if your lights come on. The other way would be to get a volt meter and check each side of the solenoid for voltage, you would measure voltage on each post to chassis ground. IF the voltage is LOW on one side and HIGH on the other the solenoid is the problem.

IF ONLY the lights are not working and you find you have voltage on each side of the solenoid then that sounds like a blown fuse or wiring problem.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is no sound when hitting the battery cut out in the cab or at the house battery, either one. This is a diesel pusher and we cant seem to find this solenoid that you are talking about. The water pump is for sure 12v and is functioning normally as is the fridge.

SO I looked in your manual and it clearly said the fridge is not affected by the disconnect cut off.

IT says the solenoid is located on the Rear Run Plate, Solenoid interrupts House battery power to interior 12 Volt fuse panel and the front run panel.

SO if everything in the interior fuse panel is not working good chance the solenoid is the problem, if some of the items are working that are fed off the interior fuse panel then NOT the problem.

Still looking through some info... Robert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is a run plate? Not familiar with this terminology. There is a house battery disconnect in the house battery bay. House batteries are at 13.3v

Correct you have two disconnects, a manual disconnect near the battery and then the interior disconnect switch which triggers that solenoid, follow the cable out of the manual disconnect and see if it is going to a breaker or the solenoid, you should have two fuse boxes the solenoid would be located, front and rear, I gather the solenoid is in the rear box, it should have a 5 amp fuse right on the solenoid. Again one cable comes from the battery or manual disconnect to the solenoid. Robert

Looks like from picture they show the solenoids are in the rear box where you can start the engine from the rear, there are breakers and solenoids in that box.

Robert

IF you find that box with the solenoids have someone hit the switch again and feel the solenoids to see if it is clicking. Should also be another big boy solenoid in that box but that is not the one, the other two sit to the side of that.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We have a photo but the WiFi here is in and out. We will keep trying.

Please let me know if you need more help, I respond WHEN I can.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, you can still follow up as needed.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We got the clicking one. Now what?

DO you have a volt meter?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did check fuse and is good.

SO set the meter to DC voltage on the solenoid you will see 2 LARGE posts across from each other, the voltage on each post should be very close, so red probe to one post, black probe to a good ground get a reading and then check the other side.

Let me know.

Robert

IF you only have voltage on one side of the solenoid get an insulated wire and jump post to post and see if your power comes on...

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
got lights! So is the solenoid bad?

YES pretty common thing to have happen, for the mean time you can bypass it but need a heavy gauge wire.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts today please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, it is the ONLY way I get "credit" for helping you out....

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic