RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2003 Montana 5th wheel. When I turn the furnace on…

I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 Montana 5th wheel. When I turn the furnace on it runs for a few minutes then cuts off. I am assuming the pilot light is not coming on. I've tried several times.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Not lights. the furnace pilot

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montana yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am a single older woman and can only do a little plus a slow typer. I have been ripped off so much I thought you could give me an idea as to what could be wrong.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is there a charge for this if so how much?

3/14/2018
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

First, check and make sure the stove lights.If it does not you may be low or out of propane.This will cause this fault.

If it does light then propane is not the cause.If you hear the fan come on and clicking then the furnace is trying to light but most likely the gas control valve has failed or the control unit/computer that turns on and off the gas control valve for the furnace is at fault.Unfortunately, in this situation, you will need to have the gas control valve and control unit tested to locate which is at fault and to see if any other components are an issue causing this fault here.This will require a repair facility that can do this diagnosis to diagnose and pinpoint which component needs to be replaced to resolve this fault, unfortunately.Like an RV repair facility.But one of these is likely the cause as I have seen before and had to replace.Testing will help to locate which is the cause and has to be done.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Thanks Pete my stove works fine. I am living in an RV that is hooked up semi-permanently so i can't take it anywhere. I have been on line trying to trouble shoot what it could be. Could the outside vents be clogged (intake and output)?think I could fix that,

Your welcome and I apologize for the delay as your response did not show up until now for me.

If there is a vent or exhaust restriction this can cause a fault like this as well here.You would need to have this checked to see if this is the cause then it can be repaired from there.This may require a technician to come out to look at this system to help locate the fault.

Thanks Pete