RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Rv starts as as you you keep hand on start button. 2008

Rv starts as long...

Rv starts as long as you you keep hand on start button

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2008 itasca

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes haven't tried anything yet it started yesterday and ran for 3mins

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Flashing code 33

3/14/2018
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Is it the RV that won't start, or the genset that won't start?

genst
genset

What are the full model and serial number of the genset?

onan 3600lp model3.6kfa26720l
model 3.6kyfa267201 spec L

Ok.

This unit does not have a code 33. What you are seeing is a code 3.

Code 3 is merely a service indicator.

Lets go in and see what the actual fault code is.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?

code 45
unit gave this code when it first failed last week went out yesterday and unit started running and ran for about 3 mins then would not start again

Code 45 is Speed Sense Lost Fault. It means that the controller is unable to see how fast the unit is running.

This code may or may not be able to be diagnosed without a special tool from Onan. Sometimes it just boils down to having to have it.

The first thing you need to do is to connect a meter to the output leads of the genset, and test both voltage and frequency while holding the start button to keep the genset running for a few seconds.

What voltage and frequency does it put out?

on my 110 rec 36vac at 62 hertzs

With those readings, the controller is most likely bad, but the stator will need to be tested to verify.

An Onan dealer will have a special tool they can use to test the genset in place.

The stator can be manually tested, but it will require that the genset be removed from the coach, and the top cover taken off.

Do you have the facilities and capability to do this?

no i don't wanna drop the unit but you been very helpful hank i really appreciate it will probably get it to onan by controller you mean control p.c.

Yes, the controller is the PC board.

Thank you for using Just Answer, and please take a moment to rate my assistance.

Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets