RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2002 Skyline Nomad, 38' park model with 2

Customer Question
slideouts. We were retracting...
I have a 2002 Skyline Nomad, 38' park model with 2 slideouts. We were retracting the slideouts to move the RV when everything quit. We were able to finish the retraction manually, but now, we can't open the slideouts manually.
We have a Dewalds hydraulic motor. We were told to find and replace the 12v fuse, but we've looked everywhere to no avail. Can you tell me where to find that fuse? If not, can you tell me how to manually open the slideouts?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: RV
3/14/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please give me several mins to type a response...

Thanks, Robert

Normally the slide-room is wired directly to the battery. So I would look near the battery for a shortstop style breaker. Below is a picture, as a general rule it would be 18" from the battery and can be on the frame, without the battery hooked up the slide is not going to work. IF you see any breakers at all check for voltage on each post to chassis ground, not across the posts, if the voltage is much higher on one side then that is the problem, most have a tiny tab on them that will pop out when they trip.

IF the battery is not hooked up I might have it charged, install a new one and see what happens. IF you had another fuse it may be in a fuse holder near the pump/motor, click HERE and you can see the wiring diagrams for the Dewald set ups. It will show the manual operation as well but what you might be able to do is jump voltage to the solenoid to get the room to move for you...

Please let me know if you have more questions or concerns...... Robert

Breaker..... TO check for...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well, I'm gonna say you're dead wrong on the slideouts not working unless they are hooked up to the battery. These have always worked without the battery being hooked up. And we followed the wires from the battery all the way back to the motor. We found no inline or small boxes for fuses. We also put a brand new battery on the RV, just in case there was a problem. Still nothing happened. So you obviously don't know anything about my RV, and I just wasted a bunch of money. Thanks for nothing.

Hold on no need to be rude, I was trying to help and other experts may be able to assist you on this and if that is not good enough for you then you can request a refund. I am not here to take your money and was trying to be helpful, if you would like to try another expert please let me know, if not click HERE for customer service.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm desperate. I live in the RV. I have no other place to go. It's so big and heavy now with our things, I can't pull it to the repair shop and I can't afford to pay the driving fee of $250 for a mobile repairman. Neither Skyline nor Dewalds is still in business. I have to get these slideouts out now. I can't get to pantry or bed. I'm sleeping in a recliner. I told you what we did. You called me a liar about the slideouts only working on the battery. So, don't scold me about being rude. Pay attention to what I said. Do some research. Ask someone else, but before you give a response, you need to take what is being said into account and try to give a response that covers everything. You didn't even respond to my manually opening the slideouts question. I'm not interested in talking to anyone else because I'm going to get the same off the cuff response. Waste of time and money. We killed ourselves crawling all under this thing yesterday looking for fuses that just aren't there! We put 2 batteries on. We boosted the older one with the truck. But we retracted the slideouts WITHOUT A BATTERY BEING HOOKED UP. We always have done that. Now, why is that, and what's broken that we can find and fix.
Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic