RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Water heater Problems. Hot water heater in 5th Wheel. 2017…

Customer Question
Water heater Problems Mechanic's...

Water heater Problems

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

Hot water heater in 5th Wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2017 StarCraft Solstice

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Solstice yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't done anything yet, need troubleshooting advice

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: RV
3/14/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

D​o you know the make and model of your water heater? Open up the outside inspection cover and the data tag will be on there. Is the problem that it won't turn on or that it comes on and won't heat the water?

ok what you need?

D​id you see my questions?

It's an Atwood 18 gal per hr quick recovery water heater gas / elactric
I am not at the rv, I am at work right now
the problem is I only have hot water for approximately 1 min then it's cold

So it won't come on at all? That might be the thermal fuse down near the board. On the brown lead. Clear plastic with what looks like a resistor inside. Bypass that and see if power is restored. See the attached link to the Atwood Service Manual. Print this out so you have it. Get back to me when you can. A 12 VDC test light is very helpful here for diagnosis. About $10 or so at most hardware stores. And if it heats water and then goes cold you need to check the bypass on the rear of the water heater (most models) as it may be in the winterizing position. Easy to correct. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf

Look on the rear of the water heater for the bypass valve(s). Various versions. Some have one valve, some two and some three. If you have a "Bypass" on the outside of the coach then check there and turn it off "Bypass" to restore the proper water circulation. Let me know what you find. All follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

Just checking back in to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? I do have an RV repair shop and can assist you in sorting out the problem here and suggest a solution. If you need me to resend this information please let me know. Thanks!