RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2005 ford e450, class C mini winnie. Recently bought it, 38k…

2005 ford e450, class C...
2005 ford e450, class C mini winnie. Recently bought it, 38k miles. Alaska conditions. Previous owner said all OK, he's an electrician. Now no rear: stop/turn/hazard lights. Replace fuse 24 in engine compartment so the rear running lights now work. No other blown fuses that I can find. Replaced 3 prong "flasher" on steering column, had water in it (go figure on that one). No change. Pulling a flatbed snowmobile trailer, no issues with lighting on it w/ other tow vehicles. Not my first rodeo but I'm at a complete loss here. Center brake light mid height on back of MH does work, nothing at the 7 way trailer connection
3/14/2018
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Based on the information you shared here, I suspect that the problem is either corrosion in the sockets at the rear or a bad ground lead back there. Lots of water in an area can do this. Do you have a 12 VDC test light for some testing? About $10 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in some testing. All follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK Randall, I'm in AK and it's likely a different time zone than you. It's 9 am and I'll let it warm up a bit for an hour or so. I've got all sorts of test stuff. I own 3 RV's, a 45' boat, 2 boat trailers and a snowmobile trailer so I've messed with this stuff a lot,
but this one has me stumped. My wife had used the MH once before without me and was towing our snowmobile trailer. She said lights didn't work. When I used it last weekend all worked, trailer too. Stopped working on our last trip. Lots of snow melt water on the roadways here now. Found fuse #24 in engine compartment blown, replaced and now running/clearance lights work in rear. Did not find any other blown fuses but did not pull all of them on the interior fuse panel. Nice place for a fuse panel...Did find and replace the 3 prong flasher on the steering column. Water came out of it when I pulled it and tipped it over. No idea how water got in there...took it apart, corrosion on circuit board. Thought I had the problem, but no affect with new flasher. Center upper brake light (led) mid way up back of coach does come on when brakes are applied. Bruce

Take you test light and see if you have power to the pin for those in the socket. Ground the alligator clip end. If so, then the problem is a bad ground. If not, then check the connections first and then check the signal up at the turn signal mechanism to be sure that one is actually going in there. You might need a good chassis manual for that as I don't know what the colors are for that. Faxon Automotive Literature is a good source for that or Lloyd's Automotive Literature. Let me know what you find. I am in California.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well, isn't this something. This morning the brake lights are working. I'm pretty sure they weren't yesterday although it was sunny out, hard to see, put a towel over them to shade them. It froze hard here last night. Still nothing happening in the turn signal /flasher department. Is there more than one relay re: turn signals and flashers?

No on the turn signals. Maybe some moisture in the mechanism?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was like 40 outside yesterday. I'm sure the brake lights were not working as I'd also put a 7 to 4 pin adapter on the trailer outlet by the hitch and got nothing. This morning I put the adaptor back on and got current on the test light...
What mechanism are you talking about?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do the hazards operate differently than the turn signals? This still doesn't explain why the brake lights work sometimes and not other times. Possible grounding issue but where? Why is it that the center brake light always works, should be on the same circuit/wire path as the two other brake lights

The turn signal mechanism. It does sound like a bad ground issue and I would add a "test" ground at the back fixture and see if that solves any of this. Length of wire with an alligator clip on each end. Attach one end to the socket and the other to a good ground. See what happens.

Take the bulbs out and check for corrosion in the sockets.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well, one of the sockets had corrosion but....as the bulbs are not in series leaving it out allowed the center and right side to function so I can't see how that affected the whole system. I'll have to get some alligator clamps but this still does not explain the lack of turn/hazards. I'll have to figure out how to see if the 3 prong flasher relay is getting power.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The circuit board on the original flasher is really corroded due to the water infiltration. Is it possible that there's a blown fuse or relay that powers that circuit that I'm not finding? Had Just Answer resolve a similar issue about a year ago with another motorhome I have in AZ, I had actually pulled and looked at the fuse but did not realize it was blown. The tech insisted it had to be fuse # whatever and I rechecked it with a meter and yeah it was blown.

Always best to check them with a meter. Take a test light and find out if you have any signal to the socket.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
gonna take a midget to get at that socket

Do it with the lense off or remove the fixture from the housing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Naw, I'm talking bout checking for power at the 3 prong female connector that the flasher relay fits into. All 4 corner lights operate under running lights. the 3 fixtures in the rear all light when brake pedal depressed. No action on the turn signals or hazards still. Bulbs/bulb sockets not a problem as they have all been cleaned and function when brake pedal depressed. Checked front parking/turn bulbs& sockets. All ok.

O.K.......that can be a squeeze! Got any kids around that can do this for you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
HaHa, they are all bigger than I am

That may be an issue then!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, key on; power to the flasher relay. 3 pins like this l __ l, power goes to the l on the right side of that diagram. No change when hazards or turn signals operated. Don't really understand how that flasher works anyway...
Key off, no power to flasher relay

That sounds correct, but let me check.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
where to now?

So the problem may be in the turn signal mechanism or a bad connection or ground at the rear.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is some stuff on the internet about something called a "multifunction switch" any ideas about that? How does the turn signal mechanism affect the hazard lights. I'm taking off tomorrow am for the weekend with the MH so this will have to continue. Perhaps something will come to light while I'm using it.

I have no experience with that. I don't do these repairs in my own shop that often. I do know that I would start with the ground issue (I any) at the rear and then track the signal back to the source to find out where it is not making it through. You may need a chassis manual which I mentioned earlier to know which colors are going to be out of the turn signal switch.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Randall, I'm at the crossroads here....Brake lights work. Running lights work. Both on the RV and the snowmobile trailer. Worked all weekend in weather ranging from totally sloppy slush to freezing hard. Can't find any problem with grounding or corrosion. Looks like it's something up in the steering column/dash which is out of your area of expertise. This problem is not resolved and I'm trying to figure out what I owe you. I'd definitely use you again as I'm sure you know the RV business, but this is more of a mechanics issue vrs heaters, refrigerators and the usual RV stuff. I would rate you high but am having a hard time paying for something that's still hanging out there...thoughts? Bruce

You need a chassis manual to find out which colors are for that mechanism on the turn signals. Once you have that you can test this. I suspect you will need to replace it, but it might be just a bad connection. I don't have a manual for that. Ford may have one or at least the diagrams for that. Or try Faxon Automotive Literature or Lloyds Automotive Literature. Both of those should have one.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to locate the diagrams for this?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Been out of town Randall...
Lloyds has nothing and Faxon wants $50 for the diagram. No sense in that so I'm just going to have to take it to a shop and apply that $50 there. One shop that works on all kinds of stuff for 30+ years told me they were never able to get a proper diagram for an RV that was delivered to a coach builder by the manufacturer. Guess I'll find out what other people know. I know it's hard to trace Winnies stuff as there does not appear to be an actual wiring harness for the coach. My class A has one color of wire in the coach...yellow. Great...

Those might have been helpful later. And you can always resell them on Amazon or E-bay. Just a thought.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

I noticed that they refunded all your money on this question, so I got nothing for my time. Is that what you intended here?

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification