RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Lost power to slide out, awning and stabilizer motors. No…

Customer Question
Lost power to slide...

Lost power to slide out, awning and stabilizer motors. No apparent blown fuses

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It’s all gone now. It seemed a little weird for a few seconds and then it went down hard

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2014 Salem Hemisphere 282 RK

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just looking for blown fuses. Wondering if maybe there’s another fuse pa el

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don’t think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please give me several mins to type a response...

Robert

I think the key here is all three items are not working, they all should be wired directly to the battery so go to the battery and check your battery voltage. Look for a tripped breaker as well near the battery, below is a picture, most have a tiny tab on them that pops out when they trip. AS a general rule if you had any at all they would be 18" from the battery and can be on the frame. Sometimes they can be exposed to the elements and fail. To check get a voltmeter and check voltage on EACH post to chassis ground (not across the post) if the voltage is much higher on one side then you have found the problem. I think the key with this is all three will not work which tells me low battery voltage or tripped breaker.

Please let me know if you need more help, follow ups are included.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page..... Robert

Breaker.

I have power all the way through to the wiring that disappears under the trailer. The front tongue jack works

IF that is the case you might have a junction box at some point where the wires are wire nutted together, really hard for me to say where that would be located. I do not believe the problem is with the interior fuse box but I might get a test light and check each fuse for power, sometimes if you had a loose connection on the back side of the fuse you would never know by just looking at it, a test light will confirm power on each fuse. To me it sounds like there could be a junction box involved if all the breakers are good near the battery and all three items are not working, they should get voltage direct from the battery.

Robert

Agreed but power is making it past there so... there is a junction box right there also ant it looks good. I’ll check voltage through the box but most of those wires a fairly light gauge. This should be simple as you are pointing out but... I am an electrician and a telecom tech/ engineer so I kinda know what I’m doing. Just can’t find where the power is being lost. I’m assuming it’s buried above the corrugated fabric under the trailer but I’m hesitant to start tearing into that.

Understand... I don't have any wiring diagrams or I would give them to you. They are hard to get a hold of.

Normally you only have the one interior panel inside and then whatever breakers or fuses near the battery.

My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, if you would like to try another expert please let me know, I only get credit when you select a STAR rating on the page. You can still follow up as well if needed...

Robert

I’m sorry. I just don’t see a solution yet. I am probably going to have to call a service guy to come out. I was about to repel my rig, got everything disconnected and it died when I went to bring the slide out in. I’m stuck all unstable and the slide partially in.

I try to provide the best possible direction I can, if it is not a tripped breaker, loose wire at the battery or junction box hard for me to tell you where the issue is.

IF you are not satisfied click HERE for customer service then can assist you. I am not here to take your money and want you to be satisfied.

Also you mentioned after you disconnected everything, make sure the battery voltage is above 11.5 volts.

ROBERT