RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a two light flash code meaning low oil pressure, oil…

I have a two...

I have a two light flash code meaning low oil pressure, oil is at appropriate level, but will not work

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the oil? How old is your oil pump?

Generator has 600 hours, just recently serviced 10 run hours since and in service since 2015

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 600?

It is installed in a 2015 newmar ventana

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 600 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Service by Rincon in San Clemente, CA, attempted to reduce oil level with no luck, topped back to full maybe a bit over but no luck

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Will call Rincon when they open tomorrow morning, but I am capable of trouble shooting with the right direction

3/11/2018
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the brand, model and serial number of the genset?

Cummins Onan RV QD8000
8HDKAK-1046N
K140762551

Thanks.

You are correct in that the 2 flash code is Low Oil Pressure.

There are 3 causes for that code:

1. The unit is low on oil. You have verified that this is not the case, so we rule it out.

2. The oil pressure is actually low. This can be due to a worn oil pump, worn internal engine components, or clogged oil passages. However, these scenarios really are not as likely as number 3.

3. The low oil pressure switch has gone bad. This is by far the most likely cause.

The absolute best thing to do in this situation is to remove the oil switch, and install a manual pressure gauge to verify the actual oil pressure. If it is actually low, then you know you have a serious problem. If the oil pressure tests good, you will know you have a faulty switch.

An alternative, and one that owners love, but techs don't, is to simply install a new switch, and hope it is the problem. A low oil pressure switch is not expensive, but if it is not the problem, you still have trouble. Changing the switch requires that the top panel come off the genset, and not all mounting situations allow room for that.

The generator is mounted in the front of the motorhome, is there a picture of the pressure switch location available? Sounds like a easy fix if I can get the cover off and know what I am looking for

The oil switch is easy to find. It looks just like the oil switch in any other type of engine.

The oil filter is mounted on the front side of the engine. The oil switch is on the back side. If you were to remove the oil filter and drill a hole all the way through the engine, it would come out literally just below the oil switch. It is the only component with wiring back there that is screwed into the block.

Ok, I will open it up in the morning, and find it, looks fairly simple, I will let you know, thanks

Not a problem.

Thanks for the help, I am going to have to remove the generator in order to get to the sensor so I am deferring to my service center
Sorry to hear that, but it happens more often than not. That is why I specifically say that depending on how the unit is mounted you may have to pull it. It stinks, but nothing I say will persuade RV manufacturers to simplify mounting gensets so access can be had for maintenance.
Thank you for using Just Answer, and please take a moment to rate my assistance.
I know this did not turn out like you would have liked, but it is beyond my control.
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
No worries, thanks for the help