RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

1995 ford E-350 cutaway (motorhome) has condesate leaking…

Customer Question
1995 ford E-350 cutaway...

1995 ford E-350 cutaway (motorhome) has condesate leaking into cab on pass side during high humidity with fan on high. Drains are clear and heater box has been sealed still filling up and blowing over heater box cover. Only started doing this after moving from NW to SE any ideas other than not using high fan setting this is ruining my carpet since it is soaked in about 10 min of use

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Battery term is clean and protected with good connections what does that have to do with the AC system?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It's an E-350 and yes cleaned all drains re-sealed heater box Fan on high still blows co0ndesate out from behind heater box cover.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It oly does this during hot humid months and is worse when fam motor is on higher settings.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: RV
3/11/2018
RV Mechanic: Scott W., ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Scott W.
Scott W., ASE Certified Technician

H​ello my name is ***** ***** water, is it coming from inside the heater box? Could it be coolant? Does it have the lower finish panel under the heater case installed or is it missing?

The water is condensate not coolant and yes the finish/vent panel is installed which is where the water is coming from It's acting like the lower condensate drain in the engine compartment side is plugged but it is clear and draining. That's the first thing I checked. It's like the drain is too small or something. This started when I moved from the great NW to the humid SE Georgia area. It only comes out when the Blower fan is on high during hot humid conditions. Is there a different housing with a larger drain for Southern E-350's.
In a nutshell is this step by step procedure going to fix the problem If it does then I'll agree to your fee If it just a troubleshooting procedure and it doen't fix the problem well No fee.
RV Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 4 months ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow-ups are free after ratings, so rate with confidence!

There is no difference in the boxes. They only used one.

If you run water into the cowl on the driver side for the inlet, does the box fill? If so, the cowl hole on the driver side may be plugged. Just something to throw out there knowing that we get a lot of rains here in the southeast, at least in Florida I know I do.

We have a cut away E350 and what we did was drill a small little hole into the box on the outside, under the hood, by going up and in with a 1/4 inch drill bit. We had the same problem and since we did that small hole on the bottom of the air fan box, we have not had water dripping in the cab since.

That would be my suggestion. If you pull the 3 screws for the fan and remove the fan (outside the cab under the hood) and if you have any water there, I would suggest drilling a small hole where that lip is at the bottom for the water catch in the air box. it will drain outside and just drip, above the tire and straight to the ground.

That is about all I can really suggest for that issue that I found that works for the issue you are having.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5-star service and I want to provide a 10 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much I can back to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Please note: The site does the phone call requests, not I. I do not generate the request. Same as the memberships. The only thing I ask for is a positive 5-star rating, when we are finished, for my personal service to you.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy