RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

AC will not start. The zone 2 ac works fine. Model #

Customer Question
AC will not start...

AC will not start. The zone 2 ac works fine. Model # 57915.622

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

All of the batteries were just replaced. I tried turning it on a couple of days ago and it would try to start but it would shut my generator down

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2000 holiday rambler vacationer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'll work on it. I haven't done anything yet.I was trying to do some research before I just started throwing parts into it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: RV
3/11/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

So one works and one doesn't? Any adapter being used on the shore cord? Which thermostat do you have? If a digital model I need to know which one. I have an RV repair shop and work on these all the time. Get back to me with this and I can assist you further here. All follow ups are included in our one time fee.

From your description if sounds like a start capacitor is bad. Not expensive to replace and if you are somewhat handy with tools I can instruct you in that.

It would also be helpful to take a small digital mulitmeter and check the actual AC voltage output from the generator to be sure that is up to specs and not the problem. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in this as well.

I am going to take about a 20 minute break for lunch......

I will have to get back with you later, I got called into work. I can send you all of the info you need when I get home at 6. Thanks for replying and I appreciate the help!

10-4. I will be around later as well. And you are most welcome!

The thermostat is a Duo Therm by domestic. The a.c. in the rear works but the front a.c. does not turn on at all. When I tried to start it a few days ago it tried to start but killed the generator instead. The rv w asnt plugged in to anything. I tried plugging it in to 110 receptacle using the adapters but nothing happened.

You can't use an adapter on the shore cord for the second A/C. You loose that half of the coach. You might have tripped the breaker on the generator. You need a small digital multimeter so we can take some AC voltage readings and see what the voltage is TO the A/C. I can get you the part number in the morning for a hard start kit for this. Replaces the standard start capacitor. It may be damaged due to low incoming voltage.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to pick up a small meter yet so we can check out that AC voltage? Or if you can get back to me with your model number off the A/C I can get you that hard start kit part number.