RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Changed fuel filters, will not start. Diesel pusher,

Customer Question
Changed fuel filters, will...

Changed fuel filters, will not start

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?

Diesel pusher, external

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

Holliday rambler, 2000, Cummings is

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, filled filters before installing, tried bleeding at banjo fittings but lift pump only runs about 3 to 5 seconds

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don’t think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: RV
3/11/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Did you pre-fill the filters with clean diesel? Try this, cycle the ignition key about 10 times, do not start, let the left pump run and then repeat, that may get it primed for you..

Let me know.... Robert

as I stated in the intro, both filters were filled before installing then. The lift pump only run 3 to 5 seconds. Cracked the banjo fitting on output side of secondarey filter but get VERY little fule or air.

Sounds like the lift pump may be the problem if you are not getting flow, it should be firing off and that pump normally runs for 15-20 seconds, my thinking on this was that you could possibly keep cycling the key about a dozen times without starting then crank over, if the pump is coming on not for the full time it may catch for you if you cycle it enough, just do not crank more then 30 seconds and wait 2 mins between cranking. It sounds like the lift pump, also double check the filter make sure it is tight or you could suck air into the system....

Robert

Well I have done all this all ready. Filters are tight and I have cycled the lift pump more than a dozen times. It started before the filter change. Not sure how Roadmaster or Monaco has the lift pump set up. It does the same thing every time so not sure about the pump being bad. Looking for expert advice.

OK

I will put your question back up for other experts, my goal is for you to be satisfied, maybe another expert can get into the finer details on that pump. One thing I have seen before and I only say this because the engine was starting prior make sure the spud gasket got replaced or is not double gasketed.

I will put your question back up for other experts, I do not know when another expert will respond, they come and go daily....

Robert