RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a I have a 5.5 HGJAB-1038D that you helped me to

diagnose before as a bad...
I have a I have a 5.5 HGJAB-1038D that you helped me to diagnose before as a bad stator. I replaced it, and it worked OK for a couple of years.The first bad stator made sense to me, we drove in South Dakota dirt roads with the gen running, and it was caked with dirt -- so I assumed it overheated. This time, it has only been used for ~30-40 hours or so and it died in the winter.I've recently had the same problem... generator starts but does not stay running. I traced through my old diagnosis with you, and while all of the previous tests came out OK... One that we didn't do last time I think is telling me the problem.I get an open circuit reading when I measure the quadrature winding resistance when measuring between wires Q1 and Q2. I pulled out my old stator... and sure enough the same ohmmeter gets a good resistance reading on that one.Would you help me to confirm if this a positive diagnosis for a bad stator?If you think it is positive, would you mind recommending anything else I should replace while I'm in there OR any thoughts you might have / replacements needed that would have caused me to lose two of these in such a short time?
3/10/2018
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets

Hello, thanks for requesting me!

Yes, and open quad is definitely a bad stator. The quad winding is the winding that sends the voltage and frequency signals to the controller, so the controller knows how much voltage is being produced, and at what frequency it is being produced.

It is odd that it would go out that soon. Do you see physical damage to the windings? The most likely cause of a quad going bad is physical damage - something fell down in to the top of the generator and was bouncing around. This could be a nut, bolt or screw that got dropped in, acorn shells or other rodent debris, or even is part of the plastic fin broke off the rotor. The stator does not move, so it can't be rubbing against anything, but something else could rub against it.

Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Thanks for your quick response, I appreciate your expertise here... saves me lots of time as an amateur!