RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My aquahot not working. 2002 Monaco Signature RV I had

Customer Question
My aquahot not working. 2002...
My aquahot not working. 2002 Monaco Signature RV
I had previously replaced the nozzle and electrodes and cleaned the burner. It worked fine until a later date when I had fresh diesel available and I changed the fuel filter being careful to top off the filter bowl. It started after that but then shut off. After repeated restarts still would not fire up. The unit does make noise but the burner does not come on.
I thought I would pull out the burner assembly and check the nozzle and the electrodes, but I wanted some advise.John
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: RV
3/10/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

SO if you can get me the model of the Aqua-hot I can get you a detailed service manual, they do a really job on the service manuals and it should help you out. When you troubleshoot these it is a process of elimination and that is where the manual helps.....

Robert

I have the Service Manual which is over a 100 pages.I just thought from my question that you could narrow down the testing.
So I will just pull out the burner assembly and check the pressure at the nozzle (145 psi) and go from there.

Sorry I did not know you had the manual, and was trying to be helpful, as it is a tool. It should be sparking when you call for heat on diesel, if it is sparking then it is going to be a fuel related, if it is not sparking it could be a faulty sensor etc, hard to say. I would check your pressure out could be a fuel solenoid fuel pump problem, to many possibilities on this one to say what the exact problem is. IF you want to check things out some more and get back to me that is fine as well I am familiar with the hydro and aqua hots.

Robert

Okay
The weather is too bad to work on this project at this time.
I will let you know when I get back to work.
Spark is easy to check with a 12 volt power supply.

10-4 I am around daily and respond WHEN I can, so no hurry on my end.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.... ROBERT

Hi Robert
I checked the spark by putting 12volt across the brown and black wires and this produced good sparking
I thought I would check the pressure at the nozzle however the nozzle threads are unusual and I was going to adapt one of my nozzles (drill and tap) for my gauge so I can see if the pump puts out the 145 psi Also check the fuel return line for flow and bubbles.
I would like your advise on anything else I can check for the spark.
Fuses look okay.
The manual is not for me very user friendly
Thanks:John

Just so we are on the same page can you get me the model number? There is a test you can do by applying DC voltage to the ignition coil and then you watch for spark at the electrode, just need to have the model number of the aqua hot and then I can tell you what page that test is on....

Robert

My model # is AHE 100-015 (could be 01S hard to read)
The manual I printed is AHE-100-02S

OK

Well I just read your comments again and you already did that testing with putting 12 volts and it is producing good spark so I doubt that is the issue if it is sparking if you are getting voltage on the ignition coil wires when it is trying to start no reason why it should not be sparking, with good spark have to next look at the fuel system, if it was firing off at all you would be getting some type of smoke out the exhaust. It is crucial the electrodes are set correctly so verify that.

Make sure the rubber fuel lines have no cracks on them, what you could do is get an external can of fuel and drop the supply into that, the reason for doing this is if the main supply line was weathered or had cracks the fuel system would suck air and may not fire off, make sure the filter is tight as well, same principal you wanted to do checking for bubbles.

I also want to throw this out there, you might want to get Aqua Hots input as well, I have worked with them before as a tech and in technical support and they are always helpful, I am sure they would also have some input for you, they can be reached at(###) ###-####...

Robert

I measured the nozzle pump pressure and it was 120psi should be 145
My fuel pump was not adjustable so I am looking at a new pump.
One of the Aqua Hot TEC thought I should supply the fuel pump with a new fuel supply and return line, so I will try that next (check for air bubbles and even flow).John

Right I think I also mentioned that as well on my last post, if the lines were cracked you would suck air into the system....

Let me know and thanks for the update.

Have a Great Weekend... Robert

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, it is the only way I get credit for my time and efforts.

Hi Robert:I would like to complete this project before I do the rating.So Far So GoodUnfortunately the set up to do the fuel flow test on the Aqua Hot is time consuming do to the non available components for testing.Why AquaHot chose to use odd sizes for the nozzle and the fuel lines.I was able to machine the nozzle for the fuel pressure test and I will have to order the fuel adapters to run the fuel flow test you recommended. The adapters fittings on the fuel line are 5/16 X 24 for the and no local supplier carries that size, only 1/4, 3/8 and up No 5/16 adapter.. I did find fittings at Plumbing Supply Now in New Jersey.
The manual must have been written by some desk engineer who has never worked as a mechanic so I may need your additional help. The Tec I spoke to at AquaHot told me that because my fuel pump did not have an pressure adjusting screw (at least that was accessible without removing the pump making it impossible to adjust the pressure, to buy another then when I tried to order one just hung up on me. The pressure reading on my pump was 120 psi not the 145 recommended
Very dissatisfied with their support.
John.

Have you tries another fuel supply source to make sure the lines are not the problem?

Robert

That’s what I am trying to set up It would be done if I could have just got adapters to the fuel lines.
I was not happy trying to put hoses over the nuts so I wanted the adapters to screw into the 5/16 flare connection.

All you need to do is find where the fuel supply is coming into the unit, disconnect it and put another line on and drop it into a can of diesel, at least that is how I always have done them, can do the same with the generator, I might just try a supply for now and then do the return afterwards. All you are doing is drawing from another source and bypassing the rest.

Robert

I would think what you could do is just get a barb and connect a new line About 5 to 6' to the current ones, use a hose clamps on each side you can tighten down with a nut driver.

I would have to cut the fuel hose which is now just long enough.
The fitting on the end was so frozen to the hose I would have busted the fuel line trying to remove it do I could have put a barb on it.
I had two vice grips trying to remove the fittingJohn