RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Chassis battery keeps draining. Not tested and not leaking.

Customer Question
Chassis battery keeps draining ...

Chassis battery keeps draining

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Not tested and not leaking

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

Adventurer 2011

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes working on it myself. Just trying to figure out what could be draining it.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: RV
3/10/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 month ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

T​he first thing we always do in the shop is load test the batteries to find out if they are viable. Once they approach 3 years old then start failing and won't hold the charge or won't deliver the rated amperage. It can happen sooner. It would surprise most people at how many new batteries fail! Most places that sell batteries can do this for you if you take it into them. Just be sure you take a photo of the cables first so you are sure you get it hooked back up correctly. Clean all the cable connections as well, including the ground lead to the chassis. If the top of the battery is "wet" from acid it can discharge as that forms a pathway between the posts and can drain it. Hope this points you in the right direction here. Please get back to me once we rule this out as a proximate cause and I can direct you in some testing to track down the source of any parasitic drain. All follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

Just checking back in to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? I do have an RV repair shop and can assist you in sorting out the problem here and suggest a solution. If you need me to resend this information please let me know. Thanks!

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification