RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

One of my Atwood automatic leveling jacks will not fully…

Customer Question
One of my Atwood...

One of my Atwood automatic leveling jacks will not fully retract and it sounds like the motor for the jack is slipping. When I try to extend or retract, nothing works.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

24000, automatic

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2004 Fleetwood Flair

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to fix it. Tried extending only one jack, all jacks. Also tried to level the coach. Removed power to reset system as well.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: RV
3/10/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

What is the model number of your jacks? Or the number off the control pad? They have several versions of this system. And I am getting that one jack is all that has a problem here. It comes on, but won't move. Correct?

Atwood level legs P/n 66273. The system will turn on and 3 of the 4 jacks indicate full up. Visually, all jacks are at upper limit but when the coach is put in drive, the left front jack motor comes on and an alarm sounds.

When the motor comes on, does it move the jack at all? Or is the motor on, but nothing moves on the jack leg?

When the motor comes on nothing moves. Almost sounds like it’s slipping.

I​f that is the case, it shows that one of two things has happened. Either the gears in the top of the jack are stripped or the shaft has broken OR the clutch mechanism has stopped working and in either case, it allows the motor to come on. The jacks system works on a resistance in the motor that sends a signal to the control that the jack is not all the way up. So thinking that, the control keeps the motor running. You will need to take that jack off and take the top off that secures the gears and motor and see what is wrong. I just repaired one of these in my shop that did the same thing. The gear shaft was sheared and I had my local machine shop make one up that is stronger. Atwood has no parts for this and a new leg is about $1,200 or so! Are you going to repair this yourself? Let me know and I can direct you further on this. All follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

There are a number of places that sell used parts and that might be an option if you don't want to try and rebuild this. That jack leg should have tag on it with the part number. They have a number of variations in these as to stroke length and weight ratings. Get back to me with this and I can see what might be available.

Just checking back to see if you were able to check this leg out yet? If it is the gear shaft that broke, I have some extra ones that I had made up that can repair this. Even if you get a new one or used one, don't throw this one away! Worth money as a rebuildable core.