RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

After I turned the house battery on, there is an audible…

After I turned the...

After I turned the house battery on, there is an audible warning beep every 30 seconds. What is the cause or how do you stop it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

No, it's been in storage and hooked up to an electrical outlet. It continues even with the generator running for over 45 minutes.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2017 Era

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just checked all the smoke/carbon monoxide deterectors. Cycled the house battery switch. All components work fine with the generator on, it just keeps making the chirp every 30 seconds.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is it safe to drive the unit with the chirp?

3/10/2018
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

That sounds like it might be the LP detector along the floorline. Green light? That can alert you to the fact that the battery voltage is low.

Do you have to plug the unit up to charge it or can it charge off of the generator?
LP is at 50%

It can charge up off the generator.

It is only to signal a leak and not anything about the volume in the tank.

Is it safe to drive?

Yes, unless you smell a strong LP smell. I suspect it is just to alert you to low battery voltage. Rare that anything would leak.

Coach battery is showing 12.5 volts.

Is this beep along the floorline or up higher on the ceiling or wall? Battery operated alerts for Carbon Monoxide beep when the batteries are low as well. Try to find out exactly where that sound is coming from.

If it is the LP detector it may be going bad. They don't last for a long time.

The sound is up one the ceiling, sounds like above the drivers head. I replaced all batteries in the detectors

Not sure what detector would be up there. What else might be up there?

Nothing that I can see

Sure it isn't something in the dash or under it?

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
No sir, definitely on the ceiling. Only comes on when house battery is on...
I'll just drive with house battery off and try to charge with the generator. Thanks for you help Randall, have a good night!

Pretty strange! Please let me know what it turns out to be. Not on the A/C unit? Most of these audible alarms would have some flashing light as well. And you are most welcome! Be safe...........

I'll let you know, thanks!

10-4