RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Just took out of winter storage and put the 12 volt

Just took out of...

Just took out of winter storage and put the 12 volt batteries back in . Started like a charm. Had to charge the 6 volt batteries. Now the remote disconnect will not re-set.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

All batteries fully charged. Starts and headlights come on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?

Charged the 12 volt batteries before putting them in. Charged the 6 volt batteries all day today ( 2 - one reads 6.9 and the other 6.8)

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

D​id you wire them up correctly. Positive of one to the negative of the other?

I​s the polarity correct? If so, there should be no reason that the disconnect solenoid wont' reset.

No
If the polarity was wrong I would think the motor home would not even start.

The 6 VDC batteries should be on the house side. The chassis batteries should be 12 VDC batteries and wired up in parallel.

I have to step away for about 15 minutes and will be back..........

2007 Jayco Seneca 35GS. Two 12 volt battaries under the right step. Two 6 volt battaries in right rear corner.
6 volts are deep cycle.

1​2 VDC batteries should be in parallel and not Deep Cycle and for the start batteries. Make sure you didn't drop a cable down and not get it hooked back up again OR hook up a positive cable to the negative side. Did you take a photo of these before you took them off? Always a good idea.

reconnected them the same way.
Every thing was working fine when I put it in storage. Now wired the same.

T​ake a small digital multimeter and read the actual DC voltage AT the disconnect solenoid on the battery side. If that is about 12 VDC, then the solenoid is probably bad. No other reason for it not to reset. Is this an Intellitec or an RV Custom Products solenoid.

Any chance that mice or other critters may have been in there and chewed up something? Happens all the time.

Don't know which solenoid it is. Just switch by the door.
Will have to test it tomorrow, pretty dark out now.

That is the unit you hear "click" when you hit the switch. If you don't hear it then it may have a blown fuse (Intellitec) or just have gone bad or the leads from it to the switch damaged over the time it sat idle. I will be around all day tomorrow.

OK. Will call back in necessary

J​ust checking back to see if you were able to resolve this or do you still need some help?

Turned out to be the switch. Thanks

It pretty much had to be that or the solenoid. Thanks for letting me know and you are most welcome! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification