RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I just bought it yesterday. The previous owner told me the…

I just bought it...

I just bought it yesterday. The previous owner told me the ac just stopped wokring one day, as well as, the tank meters, microwave and enrty steps its a 1999 allegro motorhome

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

I have not, i figured it was an electrical issue because it doesnt even kick on. Usually with low freon it would just blow warm or room temp air correct?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '99 RV?

Allegro

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes so far i am trying ive checked all the fuses, breakers and generator

3/9/2018
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

okay
no

A​ll those things work off of 12 VDC power to the controls. I would start here by having the house batteries load tested and all the cables cleaned including the ground lead to the chassis. Once we rule out the batteries and cables as a proximate cause (about 75% of the time) then we can move to checking these items. A small digital multimeter like you can find at most hardware stores is helpful here. About $20 or so and easy to use. I can direct you in some testing and provide some documention and manuals. All follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

okay, im not at the rv right now was going back in a few hours to work on it. f its not the batteries or cables where would i go next?

Make and model of the A/C and style of thermostat would be helpful as well. And be sure that the battery disconnect solenoid switch isn't just in the "store" position here. Sometimes that is the problem when you have no 12 vDC. Be sure to take a photo of the battery cables so you get them hooked back up correctly. Easy to get that wrong if you don't. If these batteries are over 3 years old there is a good chance they may be failing and need replacing. HD Interstate would be my recommendation there.

Make and model of the inverter/charger or converter would help me to direct you in some testing with your meter. I am around all day here.

good deal i will be in touch

10-4. I will make you a phone chat offer with me at my shop. Only $9 more and no time limits. Can be very helpful when you are not at home and your computer is not available. Totally optional.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
okay do i just let you know when im back working on it

If for some reason I am on the phone and can't take your call I will call you right back. Fridays can be very busy here.

sounds good thank you

You are most welcome!