RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 1999 excel 5th wheel camper with a norcold N841…

Customer Question
I have a 1999 excel...
I have a 1999 excel 5th wheel camper with a norcold N841 fridge. It worked when I bought it used 5 years ago. We've only used it 2 times and it's completely dead. How much voltage should be at the 2 D.C. wires if camper is plugged in it should be getting power from the converter box? Does battery have to be connected? Does gas have to be on? Checked both fuses both good. Followed both black wires to the exhaust no reset switch unless it's be hind the heat guards. The camper is old and not willing to spend over $300. On circuit boards.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please give me a few mins to type a response.

Robert

The fridge needs DC voltage to turn on and operate, So the battery would need to be hooked up and the DC voltage needs to be 11.5 volts for the fridge to turn on. The battery acts as a filter for the converter, a converter can put out dirty voltage or AC ripple and the circuit board on the fridge does not like that. So it is always advised to have a battery hooked up to act as a filter for the converter.

IF the fridge is not turning ON at all I would also check the circuit board under the outside access panel, unplug the fridge from the outlet and then remove the cover on the board, one fuse will be for AC power and one for DC power, the DC fuse is the one you are after, if it was blown the fridge would not turn on at all. Click HERE for a service manual and follow the troubleshooting, it will go into finer details. What you can also do is apply DC voltage direct from a battery and see if the fridge comes to life.

IF you have good DC voltage, the fuses are good then you are looking at the lower circuit board or upper display panel as the problem.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond WHEN I can.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.... Robert

Does the gas need to be on and burner lite for the fridge to run?

NO IF it is not turning on at ALL meaning NO lights on the display panel then all you need is DC voltage, if the gas was not available it would still try to spark but fail to light off.

You do need the gas ON for it to run on LP and the burner needs to be going, but just for the fridge to turn on it does care about AC power or LP gas, it needs good DC voltage..

Let me know if you have more questions or concerns, I am around daily and respond WHEN I can.

Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert

RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 months ago

HI was just checking in to see if my answer helped?? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert