RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have been stationary at a campground for 30 days, we are…

Customer Question
We have been stationary...

We have been stationary at a campground for 30 days, we are unable to start the coach, sun shade wouldn’t do up or down, stairs wouldn’t move. Is there something you switch off when parked for long periods of time?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes we have checked that

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

We are charging the batteries, do we turn off the coach batteries when parked for long periods of time

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your RV?

2014 Itasc Sunvova

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

We are charging the batteries as we talk, that is all we have done. The coach will not start either

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that we can think of

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: RV
3/7/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 month ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Y​es. When you are parked you don't need the coach batteries and they will run down. If you have been plugged into shore power all this time the house batteries should be fully charged (if they are in good condition) and you can use the "Aux Start" solenoid switch to help start this. Once started, the engine will begin to charge them up again. Just be sure you hit the battery disconnect switch so they are in the charging loop as this reverts back to "store" when the power is lost. Keep in mind that the batteries usually begin to fail when they reach about 3 years old in most cases. You might want to have them load tested to be sure that they are viable. Most places that sell batteries can do this for you. Hope that points you in the right direction here. Please get back to me if you need more here as all follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

Just checking back in to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? I do have an RV repair shop and can assist you in sorting out the problem here and suggest a solution. If you need me to resend this information please let me know. Thanks!

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification