RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 73 Minnie Winnie that I purchased in the beginning…

I have a 73...

I have a 73 Minnie Winnie that I purchased in the beginning of last year. I was not able to use it since June, and now the appliances are not getting propane to them. Worked fine before, and I purchased a new propane tank and had them both filled (purged the new one) and I can’t seem to figure out why the appliances are not getting the propane

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

73 dodge Minnie Winnie

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '73 RV?

Model?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Turned some knobs from outside around the propane connectors

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Also, when I connect to the house for electric, everything still runs off of the battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Batteries are brand new and I don’t see or hear any leaks

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Ok thank you

This is an older unit and I am not sure if you have one or not but if you have a LP detector some are set up so when then trip it sends a signal to a solenoid valve and when it closes it cuts the flow of LP. That would be one reason but again this is an older unit.

I would also look for a cut off valve sometimes where the main line comes into the RV you would have a cut off valve, sometimes under the sink where the hard pipe is, they normally have a red handle.

IF you replaced the propane tank then I assume it came with a new regulator., If not the regulator could be the problem. Go to the main valve and shut it, then SLOWLY open it up, sometimes if the main valve is opened to fast the regulator can lock up up and you might not get the proper pressures.

Hope this points you in the right direction, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert

I don’t have access to under the sink from inside the rv. The entire propane area is closed off

Need to find where the hard pipe is coming into the RV, sometimes there will be a cutoff valve right where the hard pipe comes in, may have to pull a panel or some drawers to see the line.

IT is possible as well the LP is contaminated , if you see oil around the orifices for the fridge, water heater etc that would be a red flag.

Normally in the shop a manometer can be used to check the line pressure, if the pressure is good then you do a leak down test to see if it is leaking, it is about a 1/2 check. If you good slack tube LP it will show you how to make one, I have never made one but know it can be done.

IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, my goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, I only get credit when you select a STAR rating on the page..

ROBERT

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic