RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I just bought a new battery for my 1999 Forest river toy…

I just bought a...

I just bought a new battery for my 1999 Forest river toy hauler. Put the new battery in and the other battery started smoking, got hot and I disconnected the terminals. The wires from the other battery are only to the terminal connectors as hot to hot and neg to negative. Can't figure out what went wrong.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you been losing oil or coolant?

This is not a car. It's a 1999 Forest River tongue pull toy hauler

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '99 Forest River?

Toy hauler, bumper pull

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took the old dead battery out and put a new battery in.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Trying to learn why it started smoking and got hot

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/6/2018
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

SO did you mix an old battery with a new battery? Are you plugged into power?

IF they are 12 volt it should be pos to pos and neg to neg see print below it shows both 12 volt and 6 volt.

IF you have any other wires or cables going to a fuse or breaker they will be positive if they are going to the frame neg.

Sometimes you can have issues if hook up an old battery with a new battery and I would have the other battery tested to make sure it is good.

IF you are plugged in I would get a volt meter and make sure the power converter is not overcharging the range on the voltage should 12-14.2 volts, if the voltage is much higher there is an issue with the converter.

Hope this helps out, please feel free to contact me if you have more questions or concerns.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page..

Robert

Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert

Thank you. I disconnected the old battery and everything is fine now.

Glad I could help, if you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, it is the only way I get "credit" for helping out....

Thanks. Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic