RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a Winnebago 1706 FB and our furnace tries to light…

Hi, we have a...

Hi, we have a Winnebago 1706 FB and our furnace tries to light but won’t stay lit. It keeps cycling but won’t stay lit. Can you help?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Not the lights, I’m talking about the furnace.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2017 is the year. It’s a 1706 FB

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and we haven’t tried anything

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s it

2/28/2018
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Okay. Let me know what you need.

H​ow long does it stay on when it ignites? Make and model of your furnace would be helpful here. That way I can get you a copy of the Service Manual and direct you in some checks so we can sort out the problem. All follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

Thank you for your help so far. It sounds like we should take it to a local RV shop.

I​f it stays on about 15 seconds and then goes off the most common cause of that is a bad flame sense on the control board. These control boards are made in China and not good quality. Some won't even last 90 days. Easy to check if you have an outside access over the furnace.

That would allow you to get the board out and take it in for testing. It just unplugs. See the attached link to the newer Atwood Furnaces. Print this out if it looks like the one you have. Good information to have on hand. http://tnt.rvia.org/unipop.cfm?v=3&oid=2933

Thank you for the information. We really appreciate it!!

Another thing that can cause this is that the LP working pressure is too low at the tank regulator. That should be tested and adjusted if needed about once a year. In my shop I find that over half are too low. And you are most welcome! Let me know if you need more.

I am headed back into my shop from lunch so I will be offline for about 20 minutes.

J​ust checking back in to see if you were able to get this resolved?

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification