RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Power not working correctly to entire motorhome. some

Customer Question
Power not working correctly...

Power not working correctly to entire motorhome. some outlets are fine, some are not. Front AC works, rear doesn't. Fridge doesn't work. microwave works, but outlets next to it don't.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

How would that affect the outlets that aren't working?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

07 Georgetown Forest River.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

This is at our home. We kept tripping the power on 30 amp service when running two ACs and the one slide wouldn't work. So I thought it might be that we didn't have 50 amp service. We got an electrician to come out and change us from 30 to 50 amp service. But now one AC won't work at all and various power outlets don't work. And the slide still won't extend.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that about sums it up

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: RV
2/19/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

ok. thanks. what else can i tell you?

Are you sure he did this correctly? Were you using an adapter on the shore cord before? I would check the outlet at the source and be sure you have it correctly wired. I have seen some electricians who didn't know much about RV wiring.

i was using an adapter before. it was checked with an amp meter, looks like it is working

IF this has a 50 amp rated shore cord then both legs of the plug on the right and left should have 120 VAC when measured to the neutral. If he left it only 120 VAC then you are going to have the same issue as you describe. If you have a small digital multimeter we can check this quickly. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in the testing.

i've got a mulitmeter if you can walk me thru it

Black lead in the "Common" socket. Red lead in the "Ohms/Volts" socket. Dial on "AC volts" on the 200 scale. Black lead in the top center and then use the red to check the right hand and left hand prongs. They both should read about 120 VAC give or take a few. Let me know what you find.

what prongs am i checking?

Did you miss my last response where I explained this?

I should have said "slots" in the source where the prongs go............

"​East" and "West" when measured to the "North" should both read about 120 VAC.

volts are coming out good

E​xactly what were they?

120.2 120.3

IF they are good, then go into the coach and check the breakers on the inverter/charger (if you have one) to be sure they aren't tripped. Check both the GFCI controlled outlets and be sure they are not tripped.

Flip all the breakers off and then back on again in the load center where all the breakers are located. Sometimes they look "on" and they are tripped.

The A/C units and the slideout are both 12 VDC controlled. That may be a battery issue. Check to be sure they are charging properly. That DC voltage should be about 13.7 VDC. Scale set on "DC volts" on the 20 scale.

ok. i thought my interverter was outside the coach, near where the shore plug storage compartment is

Usually it is someplace close to the batteries.

It should have either one or two breakers on there. Check to be sure they aren't tripped. Neither A/C unit works through there however.

i cant find two GFCI outlets. i found one inside the bathroom and that's it. Outside the coach in a storage compartment, there's an outlet that says GFIC protected, but no reset button like a normal GFIC outlet. Any idea where the second outlet may be hiding?also, the outlet that the inverter is plugged into is not working

One in the kitchen area. If you have an inverter that plugs in then it is probably a Converter. Inverters are hard wired in. They can be more anyplace and have multiple outlets controlled by each one.

I​t would help if you had some wiring diagrams, but Forest River doesn't provide those to my knowledge. Most other OEMs do.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to find the other GFCI and resolve this?