RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We cannot figure out how to light the water heater. I mean…

We cannot figure out...

We cannot figure out how to light the water heater

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

I mean how to ignite the pilot light

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Pilot?

It is a pilot light for a water heater and the trailer is a 2018

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?

He cannot find where there is a button to press to start the pilot light on the water heater

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

2/17/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Under the outside access panel should be a sticker with the make and model, can you tell me the make and model of the water heater?

Robert

Suburban Manufacturers SW6D

OK

That is a direct ignition water heater, as the letter ends in D. So yes inside the RV you should have a switch to light off the water heater. Sometimes it can be right next to the monitor panel or in the galley/hallway area. When you hit the switch what should happen is you should hear the electrode start to spark and then a click from the gas solenoid valve. Make sure you have LP available. (the main tank valve is on)...

Also need to make sure water is in the tank, most water heaters have a hot, cold and bypass on the back side of the water heater, opposite of the outside access panel, so sometimes you have to pull a panel or drawer to get at the valves, the hot and cold should be open or valve handle running with the pipe and the bypass closed or valve handle against the pipe.

Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

It is now working the air in the line has purged out. Thank you!

GOOD JOB!!!

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, it is the only way I get "credit" for Helping out..

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic