RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The water heater in my 2003 3 The water heater in my 2002…

The water heater in...

The water heater in my 2003 3 The water heater in my 2002 cedar Creek does not light. I know I have gas but the red light does not come on either

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The red light nes The red light next to the water heater switch

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '03 RV?

2002 cedar Creek 31' bumper pull

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Intend to fix myself bhave not opened the access panel

2/17/2018
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Do you have the make and model of the water heater?

When you try to turn the switch ON does the electrode spark at all, you may need to go outside and remove the panel and have someone hit the switch, the electrode should spark and then you should get a single click from the gas valve solenoid. Let me know...

Robert

Will do

10-4 No hurry on my end I am around daily and respond when I can...

Robert

It is Suburban. No clicking.
No spark either but as i said the red light by the switch is not on either.

Sorry for the delay, had a service call..

Go to the outside of the water heater and you should see a black plastic box with two circles on it, gently push them in and see if the water heater will work for you....

Let me know... Robert

That's what it was. While waiting for you to get back with me I found a you tube video that mentioned the 12 volt resets. I understand how the heater works now also. I had pulled the wall switch and did not have power.

Good job and sorry I did not respond earlier had an emergency service call...

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, if you are NOT satisfied please let me know...

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
I'm not sure we have solved the problem. I did not have hot water this morning. Had to reset the 12 volt on the right side. Did not have any power interruptions and I can turn off the main breaker and the lights stay on. What do you think is going on.

SO you had to do the reset again at the water heater? The light being on indicates a fault.

IF you do the reset will the water heater light off and the light go out OR the light is staying ON?

Robert

The point I was making about lights is that the ceiling lights continued to work off of the 12 volt battery after I threw the main breaker which in my opinion means I never lost power to the 12 volt system. When I ran out of hot water the red light next to the water heater switch did not come. After pushed the reset the red light did come on. Hope this explains it.
I've owned this camper for 5 years and never had to reset before.

Right the system is split AC power and DC power. Some water heaters run on both LP and AC power, on the Suburbans there is a small switch located outside under the access panel on the water heater in the lower left corner, that switch needs to be on for it to work on AC power if your water heater has the electric option.

IF it is not firing off on LP it could be the circuit board which on the Suburbans is located on the side of the water heater, accessed from inside the RV, the orange electrode wire will be running to it. IF it is not a board problem it could be the T-stat or high limit cutoff. Click HERE for some more info.

R V is always plugged into 110. What has been tripping is on the 12 volt reset which is why it's not relighting when hot water runs out.

It could be the actual thermostat or the high limit cutoff, in the manual I sent it shows what they look like, I might replace them as they are fairly inexpensive and then have the circuit board tested, most RV shops have a special board tester and can tell if it is the problem or not.