RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I recently purchased an 85 fleetwood pace arrow it has

HI I recently purchased...

HI I recently purchased an 85 fleetwood pace arrow it has 27,700 original miles, its been sitting for 6 yrs. So ive drained the fuel tank, had oil changed, fuel pump. , carb, overhauled, brakes shocks tires and generator fuel pump its been running beautifully been a couple hundred miles. last week started up, drove around 2 miles and suddenly its HOT. I went home and called mechanic he said come tomorrow. Is it possible the head is cracked"? Or head gasket? What tests are done to determine

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?

Yes, and its large Chevy I dont know . Icould go get the manual?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

Heck no I took it to my regular mechanic, Whose advice i may or may not trust, Im female and have met more than one unscrupullous mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I dont know what else?

2/17/2018
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

T​his came in after I went to bed last night. Do you still need some assistance on this? I have an RV repair shop and work on these all the time. Please get back to me if you want some help here.

please i do need help.
i have problems remembering details due to concussion so i need to read your answer im sorry about that

Did you check the fluid level in the radiator? That would be the first thing. Once you determine that is good then start if up and leave the cap off and watch for any air bubbles coming up in the fluid in there. If you see any there may be a leak or crack in the head area. IF NOT, then the thermostat may be just stuck and need a new one. Let me know what you find and we can go from there. All follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

i have to decide what to say to this mechanic he insists that he begin work pulling the front e nd off cost estimate###-##-#### he will be happy to have $1000 to start please help

W​ay to early to determine that as a course of action! Do what I suggested first and then we can tell what needs to be done.

i had to leave it there he said i shouldnt drive it

O.K.........but, go down there and check out the water in the radiator and then start if up and look for air bubbles in the water. And if you see any, then next step is to do a compression check on all the cylinders.

How far is this from your home?

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Yeaterday they said they did a test and found exhaust in the radiator that it went from blue to green and yellow immediatly but they had dumped the test and i was just to take their word for it, i will go down there. By the way if there is water / coolant in the overflow bottle can i see it there? The radiator is far from the front and hard to see its dark i dont want to put my face over it

If you remove the cap and start the engine it won't blow out. It takes some time to get hot.

Y​ou need to watch the test or check for bubbles yourself. I don't want you to be scammed.

Can you give me about an hour or so?

no problem The shop is closing at 1 i havent gone there yet

O​.K...........get back to me when you are there.

Thank you !!!!!I'm going to head over there now my #is(###) ###-####and my name is Sarah
He's going to let me leave it here, so when he's gone in a couple hours I'm going to come back and check the radiator can I call you then?

Yes.