RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My motorhome cab AC is not working. I have a Ford f53

Chassis and is a Tiffin...
My motorhome cab AC is not working. I have a Ford f53 Chassis and is a Tiffin Allegro 31 foot motorhome 1997. You help me recently to get my heater blower fan working for the AC heat in the cab. Obviously the guy who sold me the vehicle didn't tell me the AC was not working, well he told me it does work there's a toggle switch to get the AC compressor on but that's not working the thing was Jerry rigged. But besides me trying to get that working I was wondering if I could use the roof unit too cool the truck off while I'm driving as I'm going to be taking a trip to Florida next week? The roof unit compressor comes on and cools pretty good so I imagine when I get to South Carolina or Georgia I'm going to start needing a c, so is it okay to use the roof unit while driving?
2/16/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

I just left Florida, last week. Back in TN now. To hot down there, do not go LOL.

Yes, you can use the roof unit to cool while driving. You will have to run the generator to do so.

My Ford repair guides do not have much info on the dash AC since that is installed by the RV company but I can try my best to help and show you how it should work on the Ford truck model. It should not be on a toggle switch.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Thanks. But is it okay for the roof unit to be subject to the Truck moving at 50 60 miles an hour on the expressway with that type of wind?

Yes, it is perfectly fine for the roof unit to be running at highway speeds. The only thing moving up there that wind can affect is the condenser fan and the design of the shrouds does not allow for much wind to hit the fan while driving. It will actually cool much better while driving from the extra air flow to cool off the hot condenser.

Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
Do you have a troubleshooting tips or God process you can send me? For the dash AC? Thanks I will rate you now.

Here is a lot of info on how the system works for the Ford truck and it should be pretty darn close to the RV setup since most vehicles AC systems work identically.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yoawv6vn3jb3q32/97ac.pdf?dl=0

Thanks. Last question I already rated you. When I push the lever from heat to cool on the AC console module, it gets stuck like halfway towards cool and springs back doesn't go all the way. I know I've seen this before just wondering does that mean that the unit is shot and I should have a new unit? Or can that be fixed that you know of?

This model should use a temperature control cable. The cables is likely frayed, binding, rusted, kinked, or crushed and causing this. I would disconnect it at the blend door and retry as well as see if the blend door can be moved by hand once disconnected.

Thanks

You bet

Sorry last question. Will the compressor come on if the thermostat under the hood has a broken copper tube that goes to the sensor bulb? I forget what they call that copper II but it goes to the evaporator exhaust or something to turn the compressor on and off. If that tube is disconnected from the thermostat will the thermostat keep the compressor from coming on?

I would need a picture of that, that sure sounds aftermarket.

This tube does not go to the engine thermostat, correct?

I believe this is a evaporator temperature type thing, and I doubt the AC will work with tit faulty. Most of what you see in the image looks homemade.

yeah I have to check with the previous owner to see how he wired this thing

He used cheap junk crimp butt connectors. So I bet his work was less than par.