RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Rear ac clicks while running and eventually trips gfci in…

Customer Question
Rear ac clicks while...

Rear ac clicks while running and eventually trips gfci in bathroom

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

1 week and it's inside ac unit... I can't place exact location. It is intermittent

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2005 tiffin phaeton

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Phaeton yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just investigating

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: RV
2/15/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

That should have no bearing on the GFCI in the bathroom. The A/C should be on it's own circuit and breaker. Is this not the case here?

The rear AC unit in my 2005 Tiffin Phaeton runs, cools, and seems normal for the first 5 minutes of operation. Then it gradually starts to give audible clicks from somewhere inside the unit. I can't tell where the clicks come from. Time between clicks is 3 to 5 minutes at first.... gradually increasing in frequency (still random) and eventually when it is clicking about every minute or less it kicks out the gfci breaker in the bathroom.

B​ut, doesn't trip the A/C breaker UNLESS it is wired up to the wrong breaker. When this happens you need to check and see if you still have any AC power AT that unit. Do you have a small digital multimeter? With that it would be easy to test.

What is the make and model off that A/C unit?

I am on my way to my shop so I will be offline for about 30 minutes........

I just need to know if it sounds like something that is fixable or if it is a common problem when a unit is about to die. In other words, is it worth calling my local RV guy?
RVP Airxcell 9000 Series Heat Pump/AC
RVP Airxcel 9000 Series Heat Pump

I think you need to check and see if it is wired up on the wrong circuit first. There is no connection to the A/C and the bathroom GFCI plug UNLESS that is the circuit it is wired up on. That would explain it. That circuit can't supply the needed voltage and amperage for a heat pump. Prehaps the factory wired this up wrong or maybe somebody else along the line.

Did you check the breakers and see which one had the A/C wired to it?