RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a mach AC 8330C63**, 8530B63** When I turn it on, the…

I have a coleman...

I have a coleman mach AC 8330C63**, 8530B63** When I turn it on, the ckt breaker trips. One tech told me my compressor was going out. The trailer is a hornet 2008.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

No I haven't. How do I do that?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 RV?

2008 Keystone Hornet M-30 FKS

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your M30 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have not tried anything so far.

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/14/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Are you using any adapters or extension cords OR are you plugged in direct with NO adapters or cords?

Robert

Plugged in direct. No adapters.

The reason I ask is if you are stepping down using an extension cord you can have line loss and it could cause the breaker to trip.

IF you are plugging in direct and the fan is free to spin inside the AC unit and the breaker is tripping then it very well could be the breaker or compressor. IF the compressor is bad it might be more cost effective to replace the AC unit, the AC voltage should be checked coming into the RV to make sure it is also in range as low or high voltage can cause problems. For a breaker tripping the most likely cause in the AC unit is the compressor.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, follow ups are included.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.... Robert

Is the compressor a part that I can buy separately from the entire AC Unit? Or do I have to buy an entire new AC Unit to replace the compressor?

I am not sure if the part is still available as this unit is 10 years old, I would call Coleman support and they should be able to tell you what parts are still available. They are owned by Airxcel but do have customer support and can be reached at (###) ###-####...

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Robert - you are THE man... thank you

Glad I could help out, Have a great evening...

Robert

One more question Robert, given that my AC Unit is a 2018, does it seem reasonable that this compressor would go out in this time period?sorry 2008

It is very possible, the unit is 10 years old. I would make sure the fan spins freely, make sure nothing is blocking it, have seen mud daubers get inside and make nests and rodents, if that fan is not spinning could be the problem. If the unit was only a couple years old then it would be a different story...

Robert