RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Our car is rated to pull up to 3500 lbs. What happens if we…

Our car is rated...

Our car is rated to pull up to 3500 lbs. What happens if we buy a trailer with a gross weight of 3140 lbs?

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 3500?

2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have taken it to the dealer or another mechanic when it's needed service. It's a Honda Pilot

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

NO, just what happens if the trailer was too heavy for the car. Thank you

1/24/2018
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

T​hat can be hazardous and it can be a big ticket if you get stopped. It sounds like you would be just barely under the limit so long as you don't load the trailer up too heavy. You would most definitely need an equalizing hitch for this. That would help on the handling. Hope that gets you headed in the right direction. Please get back to me if you need more later as all follow ups are included in our one time fee.

If I understand you, it sounds like the main hazard is how the car handles rather than, say, damage to the engine. Is that correct? Our car does have a trailer package that includes a power steering fluid cooler and, I think, a transmission fluid cooler.

Yes, that is one of the main considerations. Use the gears on any hills and don't lug the engine RPM down. If you don't have a transmission cooler I would have one installed. Be sure and keep to the schedule for transmission service or even do shorter intervals on fluid and filter changes if you do much towing.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Thank you. Lots to think about.

You are quite welcome! Please get back to me later if you need more on this as there is no time limit on follow ups.