RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a jayco x213 with rear slide out that's is a size…

I have a jayco...

I have a jayco x213 with rear slide out that's is a king size bed. The problem seems to be I am in ny and I have been living in it for a month so far. It seems that the camper is warm but right behind the mattress 3 inches up ( the thinkness of the mattress is frosting and wet the whole lenth of the back wall) but where the mattress ends 3 inches high it is warm and dry. I see someone has tried to seal all the outside seams of everything you can think of and I have sealed and checked everything. The slide is all the way in and at 40 degries is still cold and wet. I don't know if I have already ansawered my own question already but have you seen this and could it be its not and all season trailer ?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

2015 Jayco X213 ultralite

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '15 RV?

X213

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have sealed everything you can think of

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I just bought this in end of november

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/23/2018
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Ok shoot

I​t sounds like something isn't sealed correctly for sure. Most all RVs are considered "all season" units and shouldn't have any areas inside that are either wet or getting frost or anywhere near that cold. Can you attach a photo or two of those areas so I can see what you are referring to here? That would be most helpful. I have an RV repair shop and so these sorts of repairs all the time. All follow ups are included in our one time fee.

You can use the paperclip icon for that if you are using a computer here.

It sounds like there is a leak in the roof area someplace and it is draining down across the ceiling area to the rear wall OR it may be right at the rear seam and just hasn't been sealed correctly. This is a common problem where people use the wrong sealants that are not designed for RV use.

IF the moisture is ONLY on the inside wall of the slide then it may be the roof area on the top of the slide where the problem is. Can you move the slide out some and take a photo of that area? Good job on the photos!

This is with the side closed. I have been sleeping with the slide closed so it's Easyer to heat

I think perhaps a different style of trim above the room might have been a better idea. With it open, can you see any daylight around the edges of the wiper seals?

L​eaking around the seals is common IF the slide isn't adjusted properly to center the room in the opening OR if the seals are damaged in some way. Corners are especially vulnerable.

But it's not inside the camper it's inside the box of the slides the bottom of the box of the slide the camper is dry. And it's just the thickness of the mattress that has Frost all the rest of the wall is warm

E​ven if that was cold enough to frost, it shouldn't be doing that unless there is moisture there. If this in a high humidity area? And I am wondering if that area of the slide wall was properly insulated.

Can you get up and check the top area of the slide roof while it is "In" and see if you feel any moisture there?

That was the same thinking that I had it seems like a perfect 3 in along the whole bottom that Frost's and you can see that they must I bought it used and it seems like someone from the RV dealer tried to seal it once before

I suppose it is possible that when they insulated the inside of the wall that they cut that area too short and there is actually none in that void. Even then, at ambient temps above freezing there shouldn't be any frost. Where did they try to seal it? Outside or inside? I don't see that in your photos.

Is the frost on the inside wall or the bed platform?

It's not frosting above freezing it's just cold and it's a perfect 3 inches on the back wall from the bottom plywood of the bed

It might be that the problem is on the bottom wiper seal area underneath the slide room that isn't insulated or sealed properly.

The plywood is perfect it's not cold it's just that 3 in of the back wall

The room is supposed to be sealing all the way around it when all the way in and all the way out. If not, the cold air will come in. And on the back wall of the slide room wall only it would appear that there is a void on the inside that wasn't insulated.

It's strange because it's a perfect 3 in high along the whole back wall on the

T​hat pretty much speaks to a lack of insulation in that area. It could be repaired by taking that area apart from the inside and putting insulation in there.

The seal on the bottom looks like it should be working but if there wasn't any insulation that makes the most sense because the back wall is outside well the fiberglass is outside and the inner wall

A​dding a layer inside might work as well as long as the mattress covers it up.

It doesn't look like I'd be able to take the in a wall down and how would I replace it I would need to wallpaper it and everything again is it like studs

It would ONLY be just that 3" area that would be removed. I think if there is room to add some material from the inside I would do that first. Especially if it wouldn't show.

I have never built in RV that's why I have questions

And not exactly a problem that I have seen much at all, but it does happen in mass production. You might report that to Jayco Customer Service and see if they offer any help with the correction.

I'll tell you I can tell that you are an expert and you know what you talkin about and I truly appreciate everything you've done to help me so I will try to talk to Jake o customer service if not I guess I'll have to do it myself and follow your recommendations

You just want to be absolutely certain that there is no moisture coming down from the inside of the wall due to a leaking area on the roof portion. That is fairly common and will eventually require some extreme repairs

Do you have their number? Please report back about what they say and recommend. I can assist you further later on the repair if needed. No time limit on follow ups. And you are most welcome!

The rubber on the roof of the box of the slide is okay and I have even silicone sealed the ceiling that they have and there is no way possible for water to be getting inside of this box
Not feeling with a c the seal outside that they had used sealent
Plus this slide is all the way in and after the rain I opened it up and there wasn't a drop of water on the top or the sides of the slide but it was so cold and damp feeling on the bottom 3 in inside the slide

Silicone will fail on the outside and the product of choice here is Dicor Lap Sealant. Comes in a tube and applied with a caulking gun. Comes out like tooth paste. The area to be sealed has to be free of all other sealants and clean and dry first. Jayco Customer Service is(###) ###-####

I think you hit the nail on the head with the installation problems because it's too perfect of a 3in line on the bottom

10-4

I am going to get the self leveling sealer and redo the seems but I just did the silicone as fast as I could because it was do to rain and is raining now

U​nderstood. And this comes in a variety of colors. Self leveling is 501 sealer.

You need a warmer and dry day for this........

Ok I can't thank you enough. Like I said I believe you hit it on the nose so I will get in touch with Jayco customer service and see if they will help me if not I'll still try seal resealing it because I don't want the old silicone on the roof and I want to make sure it is correct
Thank you once again have a great day

A​nd you are most welcome! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. Be safe.........

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Well I'm on the Jayco Forum and the r Village Club and you bet I'll be recommending you guys to everyone I talk to thanks again and you stay well

That would be greatly appreciated! And thank you for your most generous bonus as well!

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification