RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

We have some warm water but not hot water. It was working…

We have some warm...

We have some warm water but not hot water. It was working but we needed to change propane tanks and now it doesn't seem to be heating properly. How long should the tank take to heat?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

No leaks that I can see. Where would the coolant level able to be checked?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2009 Keystone Sprinter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is parked here at a farm and we are renting the camper. Owner doesn't seem to be any more knowlegable than me.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No,I think that's it thanks.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
When should I expect an answer?
1/21/2018
Wayne, RV Mechanic

Hi I’m Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

sorry for the delay, I just now came online and seen your question

it will take a good 45 minutes to get it to hot temp

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
It had had overnight to heat.we had some warm water but not much. And definitely not hot. I have checked the following: bypass valve is in proper position. Pilot is lit. Switch is in On position. Inside water heater for propane is in On position.

HI

Thank you for the response

yes that should be hot now

did this just happen after an LP tank change ??

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
It was working before.

Thank you for that

well that is just saying you have a bad LP tank

I have seen LP tanks faulty after a fresh fill

I suggest getting another tank to switch it out

I hope this helps you

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The furnace works though and it runs on propane as well. Wouldn't both not work if that was the case?

Hi

Yes that is correct

does the stove also work ??

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
the stovetop works.

Thank you

OK, it is not the tank.

does the hot water heater have a regulator on it ??

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hi are you still there?

Yes

I was waiting for your reply

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I did reply...see above. Stovetop works.

Hi

then I replied

Thank youOK, it is not the tank.does the hot water heater have a regulator on it ??Wayne
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
What would that look like?

Hi

It will be square and the gas pipe goes to it

Hi

Thank you for the Pic,

this is what I suggest, follow the instructions for lighting

if it fails to light, the regulator/gas valve failed

I hope this helps you

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I may have said that wrong...I can tell it is lit but is the regulator what determines how hot the water gets or is there some temperature gauge/setting as well?

HI

if the pilot light is lite, then you would hear the gas rushing and flame burning just as you hear it on the stove top

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Okay...there is certainly propane or it woundn't light bit I don't hear rushing propane. So maybe that's the problem. I'm only getting the small amount of heat that the pilot light is generating? It's not feeding enough propane to really light it up and heat the whole tank?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Am I able to do anything to try and fix this?

Hi

The only thing to fix it it is a new valve

in my opinion, it is 9 years old and seeing the rust and soot on

that pan I suggest replace the unit

HI

Yes that is looking good

Please remember to rate my answer 5-stars

Wayne, RV Mechanic
Wayne, RV Mechanic