RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

The coach battery disconnect switch will not stay turned on…

The coach battery disconnect...

The coach battery disconnect switch will not stay turned on i have to hold it in place to turn power on in the coach

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Batteries are fully charged

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

1999 fleetwood flair 32v

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just got it this week nothing other than testing the batteries

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The generator want stay running unless i hold the house battery switch if i turn it loose all power goes dead

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/21/2018
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Most likely you have a bad disconnect solenoid, when you hit the switch inside it should trigger a solenoid. When you hit the switch you may even hear the solenoid click each time, it can be near the batteries or inside a battery control box with fuses, and other solenoids. IT sounds like the solenoid is not engaging unless you hold the switch down. Once you find the solenoid try tapping on it a few times, if that does not work jump the large posts on the solenoid and verify the power comes on, if so then I would replace it, should have a sticker on it get that info and call a RV parts store and they can help you get one, these solenoids do fail.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page..

Robert

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok thanks in advance

No problem at all, you should be able to bypass the solenoid for the time being but you do want to use a heavy gauge wire like what are on the LARGE posts. No small wires.

Please let me know if you need more help I am around daily and respond when I can.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.

Have a Great Weekend... Robert

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
when i push the switch i here the solenoid click so what am i to bypass

IF you follow the noise to the solenoid you will see two LARGE cables going in and out of the solenoid, to start get a small wire and jump the posts and see if your power comes on, if so you can then bridge them together but will need a larger wire as it could heat up if it is to small, that way you can have power until you get a new solenoid. Hope that makes sense, if not please feel free to follow up with me.....

Please keep in mind I only get "credit" when you select a STAR rating on the page, you can respond back to me at any point if you still need more help, I am around daily ans respond when I can.. Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic