RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2007 cardinal that has two sides. One in the

I have a 2007...

I have a 2007 cardinal that has two sides. One in the bedroom and a larger one on the living area. I replaced the in house battery in September 2017 and have had trouble getting the larger slide in and out since. It seems that there is not enough charge on the battery after the smaller slide comes in to keep the hydraulic pump running until the larger slide is in, or out, whichever the car may be.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Yes. I don't think that's the problem. I actually bought another battery two weeks ago but had the same problem. The battery that I replaced back in September of 2017 was 6 years old and never caused a problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '07 RV?

31LE

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

As a general rule I do the repairs because I can't find good service.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When I run the slides in while on shore power they will both go in, but when I arrive at my destination and unhook by using the leveling Jack's the second slide won't come all the way in before the battery is too weak to keep the hydraulic pump activated.

1/20/2018
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

How many batteries do you currently have and do you know the series battery it is????

Thanks, Robert

I have bought two within the last 6 months and both are doing the same thing.
#1 everstart
Group 27 DC
750 MCA
109 Amp Hours#2 Interstate
24 M-HD
800 CCA
1000MCA
everything works fine except that I don't have enough power to run the second slide in.
I am hearing impaired

OK

How many batteries are hooked up now 1 or 2 ? I understand your issue and it does sound like a voltage problem from the battery if everything works plugged in.

How many batteries are you using? are the batteries you mentioned hooked together?

No sir. I only have the interstate on there now.
I bought the everstart in August as a replacement for another everstart that had been in service 6 years. The replacement did okay for a couple of trips but then I hit the interstate since the everstart seemed too small for the job.

OK

So what I would recommend is for you to install a second battery so you have a larger bank to pull from, it will need to be deep cycle and the series 24 is going to be to small, I would at least go with a series 27 or 31, the higher the series the more amps the battery will have and when you have two wired in parallel it will give you a larger bank to pull from. The wiring is simple, you would need two jumpers going from the first battery to the second, positive to positive and negative to negative. Most auto parts stores such as napa can make you the jumpers as well. I have a feeling the large slide is pulling to many amps for one battery and when you are plugged in the battery is getting a charge. Adding a second battery should take care of this.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page...

Robert

That thought occurred to me. I actually researched it but hate to go in that direction. The single battery that was on my rv for 6 years served me well for 6 years so I hate going to a two batteries system when one has worked in the past.
Are the batteries I am trying to use too small for the job and if so what do I need that will work?

You could step up to a series 31 battery, the 24 series is to small to run that big slide, ALSO check your battery cables very carefully make sure the cables are all clean and tight and all the ends are crimped properly, if you had a cable issue you could have voltage loss. A good series 31 deep cycle should do the trick.

Hope this helps out, if you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page... Robert

I don't mind buying another battery. Well actually I do since I have just bought the second one, but I don't mind if that will solve my problem. I don't know what the one was that I had for six years since Wal-Mart no longer sells it.
Is the 27 I have now short of amps for this job? Wal-Mart sells one that is 950 amps. Do you think it will work?

OK

From what you are saying plugged in everything works so we know the slide works good. When you are unplugged you are running off of battery only the slide is wired directly to the battery, as long as your cables are clean and tight and you have a good charged battery it should move the room. Batteries are rated in series, 24,27,31. The bigger the series the better off you are going to be on this. I would think a series 27 would do the job the series 24 is to small...

Hope this helps you out, if you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.

Also I wanted to mention sometimes you will have an auto breaker on the cable from the battery to the slide, below is a picture as a general rule it would be 18" from the battery and can be on the frame, sometimes they can get corroded because of the elements and if that happened you might have voltage loss. SO I would check for any and check and make sure any you see are not corroded, most auto parts stores have them and they only cost a few dollars. They will have an amp rating on the side of them.

ROBERT

Breaker.

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic